Paint ?

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I have just ordered my first resin figure of Alien for a dio I've got bouncing around my head

It's only 1/35 scale so it's small but I would like to know if you have to use a special type of paint or can I use normal acrylic paint

Thanks

0ne48thtel

As long as it is given a good wash before application your paint should be fine Alan. I use acrylics on the resin cockpits I build with no problems.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
That tree I made is resin and was painted using airbrush paints, just make sure that the item is cleaned to get any release agent off. You could always undercoat too if you fancied just to give a better grip for the paints.

Si:smiling3:

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks folks you've been a big help it's much appreciated :smiling3:

C

CDW

Citadel acrylics seem to be fantastic on white metal and resin with no need for primer on a decent prepared surface.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
Citadel acrylics seem to be fantastic on white metal and resin with no need for primer on a decent prepared surface.
Yes they are good Colin I've used them before but I find they come out in a satin look which I don't think will look right for what I have in mind

Thanks for your input though :smiling3:

C

CDW

I use them all the time, even for armour, when you give the model a final wash (or weathering) and dry brush if you use a matt colour based wash/dry brush it tones everything down.

Although the 'satin' appearance does tend to be picked up with heavy flash photography, it looks perfect in natural light.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I use them all the time, even for armour, when you give the model a final wash (or weathering) and dry brush if you use a matt colour based wash/dry brush it tones everything down.Although the 'satin' appearance does tend to be picked up with heavy flash photography, it looks perfect in natural light.
I don't think it will really mater mate the kit is only going to be about 3 inches tall so I don't think anyone will notice if I used poster paint for it , I have used citadel paints on a few of my kits for a wash as I think they water down better but I don't think I get the same effect when drybrushing but maybe that's just me :smiling3:

R

Richy C

As the lads have said above a good wash but I recommend using a primer , I`ve found that a small knock can chip the paint and with any sharp edges the paint can rub off when handling ,

Richy

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
As the lads have said above a good wash but I recommend using a primer , I`ve found that a small knock can chip the paint and with any sharp edges the paint can rub off when handling ,Richy
Thanks richly , do you think a coat of clear would help protect the paint as well ?

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Thanks richly , do you think a coat of clear would help protect the paint as well ?
nope. use a MATT varnish.

Ian M

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
\ said:
nope. use a MATT varnish.Ian M
You sound pretty certain there Ian. I thought Klear was designed to protect surfaces or am I missing something?

Gern

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
You sound pretty certain there Ian. I thought Klear was designed to protect surfaces or am I missing something?Gern
It's also rather shiny....Also varnish is still going to be tougher than floor polish. The 'new' varnish from Vallejo is as hard as nails when cured.

Ian M

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Thanks Ian for the info I'll try some on a piece of plastic before I do it on a kit

P

Paul P

I found justins flat coat is perfect to finish, protects the paint and gives a totally flat finish

Paul