Painting figures, back to school for me.

B

backonthecase

Ok chaps, this is new ground for me in a few ways so be gentle with me (said the actress to the bishop...)

2 things have made me write this article, the acquisition of the Osprey "MODELLING SCALE FIGURES" book for Christmas, and the lack of a crew on my PAK 38 I build a while ago, after failing miserably to paint them to my satisfaction. So I've got the figures and book out and I'm gona paint "by the numbers" (pun intended).

Starting at the "painting and finishing" chapter, here goes

Firstly after stripping the old paint off using standard household bleach (bear with me as I have no macro lens): -

Gaps filled with superglue and talc, primer coat on

That's where I am this evening.

The book places a high importance on the base coat for obvious reasons, so I will be using thinned Tamiya XF65 field grey at fairly decent pressure to ensure a thin coat, ready for subsequent shadow and highlight areas.

This is the first time I've attempted A) a step by step and B) "proper" figure painting, So I am open to suggestions and comments.

Thanks for watching

Stuart

I will update soon.

B

backonthecase

Ok, base coat on, standard Tamiya Field Grey XF65 for starters. Gona make up a light and dark version just by eye and brush paint the rest of it with hopeful results

so far, so reasonable....

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Shadow and highlight done tonight

Shadow plus highlights... hoping the starkness will disappear under a filter

Any comments/wise words bring em on

Stuart

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Shading is looking good, what scale is it?

B

backonthecase

Thank's John, It's 1:35. They're mediocre figures, but I'm givin it a go

Stuart

B

backonthecase

Sorry for the long delay chaps but I had a bit of time to sit and read/think/experiment with the faces on these guys.

I have done as suggested and sprayed a lightened uniform colour onto the upper surfaces of the uniform then blended with a MiG filter.

I then painted the heads with vallejo flesh (little more than white really) to use as a base coat. Then mixed white, ochre and a veeerrrrryyy small drop of red oil paint and tried to as smoothly as possible, apply it onto the heads.

I'm waiting on my camera battery charging, then I will get pics up.

Stuart