Painting fine detail

A

AVB99

View attachment 32486

Hello

I attach an image of a 1/35 Merlin engine which I have sprayed black. The engine is less than two inches high. Can I please ask - if you look closely you will see a very fine tube or cable. How please can I paint something like this. How do I mask the surrounds? I look with envy at some of the detail you guys are able to create. Being a relative beginner I'm keen to learn how to do the fine detail. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Aidan

View attachment 37335

merlin.jpg

A

andygh

Personally? An oooo brush, a magnifying lamp, reading specs, a steady hand and a bit of practise

P

Plastickitbasher

You could try a bit of dry brushing.

White tac might help with masking but it will be very fiddly getting it right.

Gunze paint pens might work

If it were me I'd use a small brush, bright light, magnifier and take my time

First Name
Dave
Another solution would be to replace the pipework detail with bits of fuse wire or lead wire.you could paint it before fixing it to the engine.Personaly i would use a very small brush and paint it by hand.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
There's an artistic element to this. The model is only an approximation of the real thing. Just look how complicated a Merlin,in this case installed in a Spitfire,looks.

You've got three choices really.

You can break out the wire etc and attempt to super detail the engine in an effort to make it look like the image above.

You can get out the fine brush,magnifier and add some detail to give an impression of the real thing. I might do this if I was going to pose the model with all panels off. It's a middle road which I can manage. The first option is beyond me.

You can forget the extra detailing and simply dry brush some of the detail,maybe apply a bit of dirty oil wash and stick it in the model. I'd do this if the model was going to be closed up with the possibility of removing a panel or two to show that there is an engine in there.

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Morning Aidan. Found this difficult even though my eyes at my age are relatively good & using a magnifier or Le Loupe as they are called.

I was thinking (happens a couple of times a week) when trying to paint a 1/48 Mosquito bomb bay may try next time another idea. That is to paint the detail on the engine first as it does not matter if you stray. Then paint the main overall colour as it is easier to cut into detail than paint fine detail over if that makes sense written down.

Obviously if you have an area which you want to airbrush this is not possible. But for an engine it suits hand brush painting. Found with the bomb bay that dry brushing with a flat brush came out the best but not good by any stretch.

Have seen some nice models which have applied fine detailing as Dave W has mentioned & on a larger scale I think (there twice in a day) I may try this next time. Trouble is I am going to try so many things it is a wonder that I get anything finished.

Laurie