Painting Problem

N

NMBrookes

Hi there my name is Nicholas and I am new to this forum and new to modelling, so I went out and brought a kit from Revell to try it out and see if I like it.

I have the H.M.S Victory kit and supplied with the kit is the Revell paint 310 Lufthansa Yellow Silk Matt, but when I use this colour it still shows the brown plastic not matter how many layers are used.

Is there any other paint that are better I have been looking at the Humbrol paints.

Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks

Nicholas

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Nicholas and welcome aboard.

From you comment I can see that you are not priming before you paint.

Yellow is one of those colours that can be a pain as its often quite translucent. Also did you wash the kit before you started painting. There is often a very thin coat of release agent which can also play havoc with the painting process.

I assume that you are using a brush as well. My recomendation would be wash the kit in luke warm water with a squirt of washing up liquid in. After washing, rinse well under running water and let it dry.

Then you can paint the whole model (in sections if you rather) with a matt light grey paint. Use thin coats as two thin is better than one thick one. After a day or two so the 'primer' has dried and hardend, you can paint the real colours on.

Hope that this dont scare you off and that you give it a go.

Ian M

N

NMBrookes

Thank you for the quick reply Ian.

I didnt know that the model needed washing first. Will this be a problem as I have painted part of the side of the model so far with brushes, is there a way that I can get the colours of it so that it can be painted again.

Is the primmer that you mentioned, the base coat of matt light grey and after applying the base colour will the original colour of yellow cover the base colour.

Nicholas

T

tecdes

Hi Nicholas & a great welcome to the forum.

First don't get downhearted. It took me about 3 models, build aircraft, before I started to get the hang of things. Actually had to buy another Typoon, my first model, as I messed up on a number of pieces. It is a bit of a journey but when things come together it is a real pleasure & really worth the hard work.

Not sure what medium you are working in ie oil paint or acrylics. From my experience I would say I would have been better to have started with acrylics rather than oil for the first model. When I went for acrylics on all models since the first this really made a massive difference as I found them much easier to use. Worth buying a couple of colours & trying acrylics. I use Vallejo Acrylics. Take a look at the Vallejo site acrylicos vallejo, colores acrílicos click on the Union Jack for English. This tells you a lot about acrylics.

Also have a look at the Scale Model Shop by clicking on it at the top of this page. John stocks all the Vallejo Paints. If you are hand brushing you will need Vallejo Model. Vallejo Model Air is for airbrushing as it is much thinner.

Yellow I have found to be a pain & more pain. Took me 5 coats of acrylic to cover a grey primer with yellow on my last model. Get it right & all the other colours will be easy.

About removing the paint others will advise.

Laurie

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I find white to be a better undercoat for yellow.

As for the bit you have already painted, as long as it is well stuck down I guess you can paint over it without any hassle.

Just to be contrary, I found it easier to get a got result brushing with enamel paints as the longer drying time gave the brush marks time ti level out. As has often been said in "what paint is best" type threads- paint choice is a very personal thing. Some will swear by enamel others acrylics- I use what ever has the colour I need... (I hate mixing).

Ian M