painting small stripe on submarine

Sander69

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I should first state that I consider myself a beginner at this hobby and rank my skill level around the mediocre level. I'm working on a 1/700 scale Balao class submarine and it has a three basic four basic colors. The lower hull is hull red, followed by a black "strip", then a stripe of light gull gray. The deck plates are dark gray / Prussian blue-ish. My problem is that I have everything painted except the black stripe which probably should have been done first. Are there any tricks to masking off models this small? it's 125 cm long, ruffly 12 cm wide and the hull is 15 cm high (not counting the tower). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Why did I pick a 1/700 scale model to build? My father was on a Balao class sub and that was the only scale I could find. Never again;)

Attachments

• sub.png
    sub.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 23
Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven yes just use 4mm tamyia maskin tape an stick on one end an just strech it along the hull an then leave a gap of the tickness of the black line an do the same thing again then use a hairey stick to paint the black line in matt black
chrisb

langy71

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
HI Steven yes just use 4mm tamyia maskin tape an stick on one end an just strech it along the hull an then leave a gap of the tickness of the black line an do the same thing again then use a hairey stick to paint the black line in matt black
chrisb
this is the way...(said in a mandalorian style)

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven ive been reading your first post again an you say there are four colours red an grey line before the deck plateing but so where will the black boot line fit on just above the red ? an could you please fit on full size pics as im havin a job seein the whole sub let alone the where the black boot line should be an i have pretty good peppers
chrisb ps why never again ? as i think subs models are very good