Painting soldering wire

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Is solder (lead free) wire easy to paint? And i'm asking that as in, will the paint adhere to the wire ok like it does with lead wire? Need to paint various 'pipe' on builds and it's WAY cheaper to buy solder wire in bulk than small amounts of lead wire

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Think I would put a coat of metal primer on just in case . It's about keying one surface isn't to take paint .

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I once made a ladder (about 10 years ago) with copper wire and soldering, it was painted with spray cans (primer and color), paint is still on :thumb2:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Can't see why not, especially if not getting flexed around.

Any etching primers just in case?

I presume i would have to do the etching on them before i molded and glued them into place. I'm not messing around with etching liquid near my paint jobs underneath lol

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
I like VMS Metal Prep 4k. Google it and you'll get a lot of info. Don't see why it wouldn't work with your solder wire.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Try it, and please let us know the result. Printed circuit lacquers (including the water-based ones) stick to the solder on the board so I don't see why they wouldn't stick to solder wire, as long as it's clean.
Pete

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Cheers Jack. In this instance i don't want to prime the whole thing as underneath the pipes/wires is going to be a NMF.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Your worry should be after its painted and type of paint. Priming it should avoid any chemical reaction. I know copper turns green on reaction to enamel paint after years.

Cheers,
Wabble

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Is solder (lead free) wire easy to paint? And i'm asking that as in, will the paint adhere to the wire ok like it does with lead wire? Need to paint various 'pipe' on builds and it's WAY cheaper to buy solder wire in bulk than small amounts of lead wire
Yes Alan. It’s exactly like painting white metal, which a lot of my little blokes are made from. It takes paint far better than brass, as an example.
If you want lead wire though, try fly tying suppliers…….all sorts of sizes and shapes on reels.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
If you want lead wire though, try fly tying suppliers…….all sorts of sizes and shapes on reels.

Been fly fishing for decades now and i have to admit. It never even crossed my mind about getting it from them. Cheers Tim