Painting some Followers of Bone

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
@Tim Marlow , I've just seen those wolves of yours - SO impressive! Do you have a thread of your work, or are they all buried in the "on the bench" thread?
Thanks so much, glad you like them….
My stuff has no particular thread of its own. Up until recently I posted them as separate threads in the completed figures board so they should be available there. I have now started adding them to the ongoing “on the bench” thread though, because it seems more appropriate. I did do an SBS for WW2 germans as part of the Simon T tribute group build, so you can look that one out as well if you are so inclined….

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
They really are excellent. As indeed is your own work. Real talent both.
Thanks so much, glad you like them. However, remember this is Paul’s thread so it’s probably better to comment in the workbench thread where I posted them ;)

dalej2014

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dale
Been meaning to say these are excellently well painted, and a well laid out SBS. Kudos. Great work!

Thank you for posting; you inspired me to post some of my old minis, and that followed by building a model kit. You have been an inspiration. Look forward to seeing more of your work.

All the best.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
This https://www.scale-models.co.uk/thre...t-ue-build-simon-t-tribute-group-build.36367/ is great, Tim - so much useful stuff. And such impressive end results - bravo!
Thanks Paul. Glad you liked it. I must admit some of my methods have changed a little since then but that will happen especially as I paint virtually every day. Your SBS covers things I didn’t think about so we are complimenting each other here…..
Being historicals I didn’t have to worry about the colour scheme either LOL.

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Ok, so here's the first results using a really good brush and flow improver.

These guys are obsessed with bones. I'm guessing the sight of one's own bones visible through translucent, papery skin would be quite the fashion statement. Followers of Bone are not sun-worshippers! So I've given them a chilly purplish skin tone. Maybe overdone it.

And dreads in vibrant red and orange were so easy to paint! I love that I can now load a really tiny amount of paint onto the brush and it doesn't instantly dry. Putting tiny amounts of paint onto the model really precisely is much, much easier.

20210808_151711.jpg

And those mould lines are plainly visible across his knuckles and his skull helmet...

Seriously, I'm shocked how much difference this is going to make. And how much longer my figures are going to take to paint. :smiling5:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Paul
Although I have no interest in this genre of the hobby the thread is fascinating and I'm sure that a lot of the techniques and ideas are applicable to any figure painting. Most enjoyable. The results speak for themselves :thumb2:
Jim

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
20210809_163028.jpgAfter an afternoon of mucking around with painting, thinning consistency and flow improver I feel I'm really making progress. The glossy wash doesn't do these pictures any favours - a bit distracting. Once I've decided that this is completed a varnish will bring it together more.
20210809_163035.jpg20210809_162911.jpg20210809_162946.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely stuff. Love the colour transitions on the green cloth. Contrasts brilliantly with the red dreds. Just excellent!

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
That's very kind, Tim.

Having got a completely new way to paint (paint thinned and 'relaxed' with flow improver, and using a top-notch brush - thanks Tim), I've decided to continue in a rather more systematic approach to SBS.

So I'm taking the two same sculpts that have only been zenithal primed and applying the paint scheme - I'll identify paints as I go.

So, starting with two figures zenithal primed with Vallejo black surface primer followed by Stynylrez white primer:

20210727_163831.jpg

I've applied Vallejo Game Color (VGC) Smokey Ink to the boots and fur, and VGC Leather Brown to belts, skirt and weapon wraps. You can really see how the prime really shows through the thin costs of paint. And hopefully, no blobby paint obscuring detail!
20210810_120834.jpg
And I'm not just slapping these on. I probably could get away with doing that, but it's good to explore the precision this new approach allows me. I'm going to try and do the whole thing with a Raphael 8404 no.2.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice approach. I must admit paint colour names always make me smile…..

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
20210810_135339.jpg
Skin done in shades of mauve and flesh, using a mix of VGC Pale Flesh and (here we go) Hexed Lichen; trousers are Jade Green, jacket is Goblin Green.