painting with yellows

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there --- am building a ju88 in desert camoflauge and am using sand yellow (life colour) for the upper areas ....... i find when i use a yellow (or white for that matter) colour i have to paint several coats as the inital coats are always very thin and transparent. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong, is there something i could / should do to make the paint thicker .......... before use i do shake and stir but it does not seem to help.

Appreciate any feedback . tx

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Whites, yellows and reds etc etc don't have as much pigment in them and therefore apprear thin when painted on. I normally give my model a primer coat of light grey before i spray those colours.

E

Edgar Brooks

What he said (well, almost.) Yellow & red have little "body," so, to get the full reflectance of the colour, they need an undercoat of white, not grey. As an experiment, take a piece of spare non-white plastic, spray half with a matt white undercoat, and leave half untouched; now spray the whole thing yellow, or red, and see the difference in the intensity of the colour.

Edgar

Last edited:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Edgar... i use grey because i want it to appear duller as if it was weathered. If i want a newly painted finish then i would probably use white or very simular

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
tx for the advice .... very constructive ......