paints which brand

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Could you guys out there tell me what paint to use on my kits as im new to the airbrush at the moment im using tamiya paints thinners and cleaners. Are there better options for a newbie i mainly do planes and tanks . Keeping it at 1/72 scale at the moment keeping costs down till i improve. I"ve got a budget compressor and airbrush at the moment £70.00 amazon im sure you know the one i mean as18 model. Should i upgrade my hardware to get better results. Cheers lads for you valued advice

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Vallejo Model Air paints are good to use with the added bonus they are pre-thinned already. To be honest though i use various brands of paints. At the moment i have Tamiya, Vallejo, Xtracrylix and Humbrol paints.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
thanks al i will try other brands cheers

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I second the Vallejo Model Air. I started using Humbrol in the airbrush and when I switched to Vallejo it was a revelation!!! Very easy to use in comparison.

A

andygh

Vallejo model air is a very good paint to start with, it allows you to practice with the airbrush without worrying about paint consistency. I learned a lot using model air and it allowed me to move on to the better paints with a good idea of what I'm supposed to be doing :lol

T

tecdes

Like Barry John I started with Humbrol, enamel in my case, & then change to Vallejo which are acrylic. If I had not I would I think have given up model making.

Found again like Barry Vallejo so easy to use. Their product range is enormous & extending every month. Not only have you Model Air airbrush ready (although I thin still) but Model has a range which is just vast & heavily thinned is useable in an airbrush. They also market thinners which mimic the constituents of their paint with acrylic resin. Their airbrush cleaner is incredibly efficient. Used two very contrasting colours this morning & between the sessions I just used a small cup of cleaner which cleaned the system completely of the first colour. The plastic bottles they come in also make it perfect for decanting into the brush cup. Thinning is easy just place in the cup the thinners then the paint & stir in the cup with a brush.

This is not to say that other manufacturers Tamiya etc. have not as good as or some may prefer other finishes. Just my experience of Vallejo. I think it is so easy to use for some one starting in model making.

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Vallejo model air is a very popular choice but if you are already using the excellent Tamiya paints it hardly seems worth a wholesale change. Have a go with a few different brands and see what works best for you and concentrate on that brand,though not necessarily to the exclusion of all others.

I use paints by several different manufacturers and both acrylics and enamels which I have accrued over many years.

Upgrading your hardware doesn't automatically mean better results. Your compressor if perfectly adequate for the job (way better than "canned" air) and many people achieve excellent results with "cheaper" airbrushes. They are generally not made to such fine tolerances or with the high quality materials of more expensive brushes and you may want to consider stepping up eventually but I wouldn't rush into a decision.

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
many thanks for the advice gonna give vallejo a blast