panel cutting razor saw

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi chaps can any one tell me where to get a good panel cutting razor saw an thin in height as well as width for work on aircraft as ive never attempted it before as been out of plastic modelling for over 20 yrs an now tryin to make a come back to the hobby chris

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Chris,
depends on what thickness you need to cut, but
These are the simplest - Zona 32tpizona saw.jpg

Trumpeter make a range of tools, including a saw, a bit fancier & more delicate......... trunpeter saws.jpg

You can get both of these from from the forum's sponsor - Scale Models Shop Ltd
* S-M-S * Good service, and good prices, just search for 'razor saw'.
Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I have the Trumpeter one and the RB Productions (Radu Brinzan) ones. They are great little tools to have especially when you use resin.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Many thanks Dave an Alan i'll have a look see an hopefully purchase chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Chris

Here are the RB Productions ones. You get 6 different blades that can be changed and fitted into a hobby knife handle. Really useful for cutting in small placesIMG_1050.JPG

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi
I have several Xacto razor saws. I’ve had them for years because they last forever. Also got some very fine etched saws that fit a hobby knife, and a Jewler’s piercing saw which is unsurpassed for openening out holes in brasswork with precision. Never needed either much with plastic work though.
Cheers
Tim

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The etched ones from Tamiya are rather good very thin and cut on the pull, which make them easier to use.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I have quite a few types but the one best for me for compound curves and to save hatches is this...Jewelers saw.

Jewelers saw.jpg
They can be quite expensive and has a range of blades down to 0.2 mm or thinner I think. The tension is adjustable and has to be right. I have broken a number of blades having the tension not tight enough. The broken shorter blades can be re-used by shortening the length of the saw which I think is easier to control for tiny bits of sawing.

For figures I have cut limbs off and re-using them without adding a spacer.

Cheers,
Richard

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
.....and Richard’s looks like my piercing saw,......nothing better for cutting holes in thin brass or nickel silver sheet. Works well on thick plastic as well....drill a hole, thread the blade through, then fix it to the saw and tension the blade until it twangs....

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Yup Tim, same way I cut hatches and save detail.

Cheers,
Richard

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Same here, though I use a woodworking fretsaw for no other reason than that I have one. I’ve not found an easier way to open up hatches on models — it certainly beats drilling holes all around them, and doesn’t cause collateral damage like cutting them open with a knife tends to.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Chris

Here are the RB Productions ones. You get 6 different blades that can be changed and fitted into a hobby knife handle. Really useful for cutting in small places
Hi Al have looked on RB site an these saws are just what im looking for as can.t start to build my big kits until I get the saws blades .Do i have to join the site an log in to buy the saws an it looks like he's saying they are out of stock so I cant buy them yet but would you mind please havin a look for me Al as im still learning how to read these sites an im not sure about things an let me know cheers if you can chris

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Chris

I can't honestly remember how and when i got them other than it was about 4 years ago. I also got the riveting wheel from him (another excellent tool).
I'll pm him on another forum i'm on as he's a regular on there. Or you could email Radu at rbrinzan@hotmail.com

Al