papa 695s Airfix 1/400 Mary Rose

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I am really surprised and perplexed by this Airfix rendition - the gratings appear to be diagonally posed but (happy to be corrected by carpentry experts) it seems to me that the gratings would be more timber efficient if built square. I also don't recognise that style at all from my earlier ship building days and research :thinking: Perhaps I'm mis-reading the photographs - I've also never seen this model! Perhaps the Mary Rose artefacts put the lie to my supposition - anyway, happy to be enlightened!
Steve

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I am really surprised and perplexed by this Airfix rendition - the gratings appear to be diagonally posed but (happy to be corrected by carpentry experts) it seems to me that the gratings would be more timber efficient if built square. I also don't recognise that style at all from my earlier ship building days and research :thinking: Perhaps I'm mis-reading the photographs - I've also never seen this model! Perhaps the Mary Rose artefacts put the lie to my supposition - anyway, happy to be enlightened!
Steve
Hi Steve I believe that the cross work on top, is meant to be netting or mesh to stop people boarding. But when the Mary Rose sank it trapped most of the sailors inside and only a few survived.

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Steve I believe that the cross work on top, is meant to be netting or mesh to stop people boarding. But when the Mary Rose sank it trapped most of the sailors inside and only a few survived.
I see that mate but, if so, it's well overscale - I understand boarding nets but somehow it just doesn't resonate - far too picky I suppose :thinking: !
Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Diagonal mesh is indeed a "representation" of netting used to keep boarders out. A very bad idea it turned out.
Airfix have not done a very good job here.
If you Google "Caldercraft Mary Rose" you can see how she looked without a lid on.

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The Diagonal mesh is indeed a "representation" of netting used to keep boarders out. A very bad idea it turned out.
Airfix have not done a very good job here.
If you Google "Caldercraft Mary Rose" you can see how she looked without a lid on.
I took your advice Ian, googled it and thought I can do this. So here's where I'm at.
DSCN5475.JPGDSCN5476.JPGDSCN5477.JPG
As you can see I've had to make another deck for the stern.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
There are kits which get you saying "that'll do" and kits that make you say "Well that's just sooo wrong" and we all know what happens then!

You got this !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ian

Sorry completely missed the start of this. That's coming on very nicely.

Well done so far.

Andrew

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Excellent job on this tiny ship. That moulded netting definitely had to go. By the way it was certainly supposed to help prevent boarders but its main job was to protect the crew from falling spars and blocks that might get shot away in action. If you have ever seen the size of the rigging blocks on these ships you can appreciate how much damage they might do.

John

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Excellent job on this tiny ship. That moulded netting definitely had to go. By the way it was certainly supposed to help prevent boarders but its main job was to protect the crew from falling spars and blocks that might get shot away in action. If you have ever seen the size of the rigging blocks on these ships you can appreciate how much damage they might do.

John
Yes I can imagine that John, thanks for the input, and I’m really glad you’re enjoying the build so far.