papa 695's Victory challenge Completed

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
D

dubster72

Not a kit I'd ever consider, but it does look like the box art Ian so well done!

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
You do know what you've been and gone and done don't you!? And now you're planning to make it even better!

Now we'll be seeing this in the shops for the next 50 years 'cos newcomers will think they can make a good looking version of the Victory from it! Doooohhhhh!

Gern

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Very nicely done Sir!

I think you have nailed the original 'box art challenge' rather better than I'm going to do. I just can't help myself :smiling3:

I'm looking forward to seeing her in a little seascape.

Cheers

Steve

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
And then it was completed. Awesome work Ian, you have nailed the Airfix promo look. I too look forward to seeing her with rigging and sailing in a sea setting, off to Trafalgar no doubt. I didn't realise that HMS Victory was the oldest naval ship in the world still in commission.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Looks exactly like the promo to me Ian , mission accomplished. I'll be interested to see the rigging go on and its going to look great in a little seascape, cheers tony

M

Mike

That is quite incredible, I am in awe! I've found a miniscule brush even smaller than my existing ones which is giving me great results on fiddly bits, I'm genuinely tempted to get yet another one and see if I can get close to your ones!

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thank you all for the great comments guys. This kit was a challenge in more than one way but I really enjoyed building it. As Tony said in the build thread a great way to test yourself and use the techniques learned over the years I've been on this forum

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
You do know what you've been and gone and done don't you!? And now you're planning to make it even better!Now we'll be seeing this in the shops for the next 50 years 'cos newcomers will think they can make a good looking version of the Victory from it! Doooohhhhh!

Gern
Dave you know you want to do this kit in your heart.

I think Airfix will keep this kit going as long as the Victory is around

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
That is quite incredible, I am in awe! I've found a miniscule brush even smaller than my existing ones which is giving me great results on fiddly bits, I'm genuinely tempted to get yet another one and see if I can get close to your ones!
That's a good idea Michael but I would build a few other kits first then come back to it to see the improvements you will have made

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Dave you know you want to do this kit in your heart.I think Airfix will keep this kit going as long as the Victory is around
It's an awful starter kit, more or less guaranteed to put a potential modeller off. Airfix should break the molds and never do another production run from them.

Far better to have a go at a newer kit (like the little Fw 190 Polux sent me) which will fit together much better and can also be brush painted to a reasonable standard by a determined beginner.

The annoying thing is that Airfix have seriously upped their game with some very nice new kits recently, for which they deserve much credit, and yet they still produce crap like this. It can be made to look decent as shown above, but not by a beginner picking up a cheap 'starter' kit.

Cheers

Steve

M

Mike

\ said:
That's a good idea Michael but I would build a few other kits first then come back to it to see the improvements you will have made
I currently have 3 kits on the go...!!!

1 x Concorde, which is stuck until I learn a bit how modelling putty works

1 x Spitfire Airfix starter kit, which I am learning how modelling putty works on

1 x Mary Rose Airfix starter kit, to see if the HMS Victory really was a one-off duck or if it's any easier with other ships (Jury is out on this one, still painting it!)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
It's an awful starter kit, more or less guaranteed to put a potential modeller off. Airfix should break the molds and never do another production run from them.Far better to have a go at a newer kit (like the little Fw 190 Polux sent me) which will fit together much better and can also be brush painted to a reasonable standard by a determined beginner.

The annoying thing is that Airfix have seriously upped their game with some very nice new kits recently, for which they deserve much credit, and yet they still produce crap like this. It can be made to look decent as shown above, but not by a beginner picking up a cheap 'starter' kit.

Cheers

Steve
I do agree with you Steve for a starter kit it's a no no and should be scrapped

I hope you didn't think I was trying to endorse this shabby kit I didn't even got proper decals just printed paper for the backend and flags

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I hope you didn't think I was trying to endorse this shabby kit
No, not at all. I'm not endorsing it by my build either :smiling3:

Good idea with the paper flags...I might nick that for mine!

Cheers

Steve

M

Mike

The flags were a proper PIA to get in place. Having achieved the mind bending feat myself, I would be disappointed to see master builders such as yourself to omit such important aspects of naval sailing of this era...

;)

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
The flags were a proper PIA to get in place. Having achieved the mind bending feat myself, I would be disappointed to see master builders such as yourself to omit such important aspects of naval sailing of this era... ;)
I'm not omitting them I'm going to put them on after the second phase of the build when all the rigging is on