Papa695s Airfix 1/72 Fairey Rotodyne

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It will be nice to watch this one. If I'm correct, the actual aircraft / concept was abandoned, because it was just too loud.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
It will be nice to watch this one. If I'm correct, the actual aircraft / concept was abandoned, because it was just too loud.
That's the story, because of the tip-jets on the rotors
That's the STORY

But some government wonk decided that the 'development costs outweighed any operational advantage', and Westland had just taken over Faireys, and had their own medium/heavy chopper in the works. Ever heard of the Westland Westminster? THAT got cancelled because theAir Ministry could see 'no utility for a large helicopter for civil or military purpose.'
After all, we could always buy from the Yanks, right?

Oh yeah, Kaman of the US wanted to licence build the Rotodyne, so THEY saw a good thing. Probably intended to sell them to the USMC. Just in time for Vietnam!

There's a rtodyne-alike in a Dan Dare story I've always wantevd to do...

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Certainly a blast from the past. It will be interesting to see how it has stood the test of time. I like the fact that Airfix have used the original box art for it's re-release.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Unfortunately bad seam lines like you have are common with older kits. It's just such a long, frustrating job to have to sand and fill the seams and reinstate the detail.
However I have no doubt you'll sort it.

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Playing ketchup here, Ian. A wing whoopy thingy I know nothing about, but it does look cool. You have done some great work on that warped fusi and the rear doors too! Especially considering the kit is in 1/72. Respect Sir!!! I'll try to keep up...

Prost
Allen