Pastel and pencil

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
@spanner570 and @Gavalaar1980 have posted their art and i have to say it's inspirational. I too like to dabble a little in the art side of things. I tend to stick to pastels and pencils though. I can't get to grips with paints (oils, acrylics or watercolours). But i really do love pastels. They lend themselves perfectly to my favorite subject, sunsets (although i do like my Northern Lights one).

I am by no means good at it. But it is something that i find i can lose myself in. It also helps my mental health. I am hoping to get a few of them framed one day

Here are a few of my bits.

IMG_2730.JPGIMG_2728.JPGIMG_2734.JPGIMG_2733.JPGIMG_2732.JPGIMG_2731.JPGIMG_2729.JPGIMG_2727.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
They're great. There's a lot of hidden talent on this forum.

Gavalaar1980

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
They are all excellent pieces of art Alan, your free hand skills are very good indeed!

I'm not the best at free hand drawing so that's why I prefer acrylic paintings; a lot of the techniques learned in figure painting (layering, blending, shades, highlights) are also used in 2D art, so it's all relative. I love figure painting but the projects can be long winded, with painting on canvas it's just pick up a brush and paint!

Surrealism and abstract are my preferred styles of art, I like painting something cryptic and less obvious.

Your landscape art pieces look the best I think, very nicely done.

Regards,

Gav.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Thanks guys

Gav. I've done free hand drawing all my life. I started out just drawing birds of prey as i love the Kestrel and Golden Eagle. I 'found' pastels in my last year at school before my options. My art teacher was excellent and certainly inspired me (as long as it was a subject i enjoyed drawing).

I'm waiting on getting more pastels as my two sons have ruined my present set. I also need some time off to actually get around to doing it.

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Nice work alan

I remember about 240 or so years ago an art student selling sunset seascapes drawn using oil pastels on a velvety type of material - very interesting, perhaps something to experiment with.

Peter

ps - my parents bought a couple of his paintings.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
A dark horse on the forum!

Excellent pieces there, Alan. A good variation too.
Good, bad or indifferent you might consider your work. It doesn't matter. Rather like making models, it's an escape from whatever.

I've only attempted pastels once - I was useless!

Here's a quick true story for you....
Way back in 1962, I was lucky enough to win the senior art prize at school. Now't special, as no one else was interested in 'Drawing'
Anyway, I went up on stage during assembly to collect my prize, thinking it would be some nice paints etc. I was presented with - A Bible!

I hope you will post some more examples of your work.

Ron

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Love that night fighter scene........the sunset on the lake reminded me of where I live. :thumb2:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Very nicely done indeed Al. I can't draw for the love of it. The night fighter scene looks great!

The Dragon 1/72 219 Uhu box art in my one in the stash is VERY similar, so assume it must be a similar vintage!!

Again great work!!!