Pby-5a Catalina, Can It Fly?

N

No.6

I very gratefully received last Christmas, a Guillow's PBY Catalina build and show Giant scale balsa kit. She, when built (not got the space to build her yet) will have a wing span of 45.5". I have built and enjoyed a number of Guillows rubber powered free flight scale kits in the past and I aware that people convert these into electric RC.

I was just wondering if anybody knows if any one has converted one of these build and show kits to electric RC? perhaps in might involve replacing some of the balsa supplied parts with lighter balsa as I know that Guillows free flight models can be a bit on the heavy side due to the type of balsa that’s used. Perhaps some powerful motors could compensate for this?

View attachment 7096

/monthly_2004_10/cat.jpg.c169c79ba6e8cf1beb32074d6826b168.jpg

View attachment 11741

View attachment 12391

cat.jpg

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I very gratefully received last Christmas, a Guillow's PBY Catalina build and show Giant scale balsa kit. She, when built (not got the space to build her yet) will have a wing span of 45.5". I have built and enjoyed a number of Guillows rubber powered free flight scale kits in the past and I aware that people convert these into electric RC. I was just wondering if anybody knows if any one has converted one of these build and show kits to electric RC? perhaps in might involve replacing some of the balsa supplied parts with lighter balsa as I know that Guillows free flight models can be a bit on the heavy side due to the type of balsa that’s used. Perhaps some powerful motors could compensate for this?
*** Hello again number 6,will the Guillows Catalina fly ? well in a word yes ! that is provided she has been built fairly lightly and preferably with that intention from the beginning,one of the biggest problems with Guillows kits is the poor quality timber,above all it is of a quality that has to be fairly dense due to the hard work that their die cutting is put to ! look at any older Guillows kit and you will see what I mean,the wood comes from the highest density that can be prone to splitting if not handled carefully.

What Guillows builders do is to thin down the wood prior to assembly by planing the rear of the sheet,this has two good points,first it reduces the thickness and weight,secondly it releases the parts from the die cut ( or should I say die crushed) sheets,whether your Catalina was this bad I dont know but believe me most of their range are poor in this respect,anyway getting back to the model,she would certainly benefit from some more dihedral on those wings,and this is where early planning comes in.

As regards power then two small electric units would form an excellent clean power source with a miniature battery and servos as well,the modern equipment is so tiny and ideal for such models.

A bit of planning in the layout of where the radio would go perhaps with a module ( see tutorials for advice on this ) that can be removed for other models would be appropiate.

The show and display range includes the B-29 which I know for a fact has been made to fly given the lightening treatment,my advice is have a go,wait for the long grass to do some test flying to avoid any trimming damage,and go for it,best of luck whatever you decide to do,either way your model looks just great,why not build another simplified lightweight version from the plans ?

N

No.6

Hi again woninglo, thanks for taking the time to answer my query and give your advice Perhaps a simplified version from the plans could be the way to go. I could even perhaps get her to float!

Could be a nice project for me.

Thanks again.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hi again woninglo, thanks for taking the time to answer my query and give your advice Perhaps a simplified version from the plans could be the way to go. I could even perhaps get her to float!Could be a nice project for me.

Thanks again.
*** Here is another idea No.6 that would work and test the water for this project without a lot of hassle -

Why not use those plans to make a model built from blue foam ? easy to carve ( tutorial due soon on this subject) and lightweight,you can get a panel from a good insulation supplies store and it goes a long way,you just need a side view and top view of the fuselage cut from cereal box card,then grab a surform and carve away,the fuselage can then be hollowed out for even more weight saving,to finish off you apply a thinned down coat of PVA adhesive which seals the foam.

Wings could be built up conventional balsa construction with the nacelles in blue foam as well,this method would make for a viable project especially with that beautiful fuselage shape.

The Catalina is a true classic and very popular with model builders everywhere.

N

No.6

Blue foam!!!!!!!

That’s a superb Idea! I have used blue foam at uni for models, could save allot of hastle and time. I had thought that I could perhaps make the floats out of foam. I never even thought about the fuselage. :yes:

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Blue foam!!!!!!! That’s a superb Idea! I have used blue foam at uni for models, could save allot of hastle and time. I had thought that I could perhaps make the floats out of foam. I never even thought about the fuselage. :yes:
*** And you can bet your life she will float as well,much better than trying to seal tissue !

You could break things down like this-

Fuselage,blue foam

Floats-blue foam

Tailplane/fin,Depron ( those meat plates you get in supermarkets are ideal)

Engine nacelles,blue foam

Wings,simple clark-Y section built up.