PCM 1/32 Spitfire Mk.XIVc

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Cheers fellas.

The dials are a photo etch,pre-painted set by Eduard that come with the kit. You really only have to stick the various bits together in the right order.

I used Xtracrylix to spray the stripes. It's acrylic because I want to distress the leading edges without messing the camouflage (enamel) underneath. I just misted on two or three coats. It's not actually a particularly heavy covering,you just have to take your time. It's also not quite as opaque as the photo would suggest. I wanted just a hint of the camouflage colours to show through,particularly in areas like the top of the fuselage which would be,on the real thing,difficult to reach. They do but it's too subtle for my photographic skills.

This aircraft was in service and would have been painted in a rush in the 48 hours before the original date for D-Day (it was postponed) by the squadron. Aircraft that were supplied from MUs with stripes,or partial stripes,after D-Day would be much more neat and accurate. I didn't go mad with accuracy on the spacing of the stripes. They are all roughly a scale 18" but I allowed a little variation around 14mm. I figure in the real world they probably snapped a chalk string and painted to that. I've replicated some slight irregularities,particularly on the fuselage. These are from a couple of profiles I have. I've got a photo of this aircraft but before the stripes were applied. At least it let me get the slightly odd (low) demarcation on the starboard side of the fin correct!

Steve

First Name
Aaron
I think the DDay stripes were important, Especially after the disasterous friendly fire episode over Sicily.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They were though it didn't prevent ground forces shooting at anything that flew overhead. Aircraft spotting for the naval guns were a favourite target. The Royal Navy was particularly well known for attempting to shoot down the Fleet Air Arm. You'll notice that the rack for Very flares,by which a pilot would attempt to identify himself as friendly, was kept on Seafires long after it was deleted on Spitfires.

The problem was exacerbated after D-Day when the various alied air forces attempted to provide close air support and frequently attacked friendly forces.

The story of the stripes is quite interesting,I may post a little resume with the finished model when I finally finish it.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
After a brief pause to do some work,culminating in nearly freezing to death at Donnington over Friday night/Saturday morning,I've been warmer on bonfire night for heaven's sake,modelling has resumed.

I've done a bit of wear on the stripes,not too much,as I'm imagining this aircraft in the week following D-Day.

I've also got the decals on. They were very nice (Cartograph) and are currently submitting under a coat of Microsol. It's all a bit shiney at the moment but I do think decals and markings finally give a model its identity.

I've seen it argued that aircraft involved in "Diver",anti V-1,operations may never have had a full set of stripes like this as they would undoubtedly come with a drag penalty. I've never seen any evidence to support this. There were some exceptions (notably Bomber Command) and alterations allowed in the application of invasion stripes but all Fighter Command aircraft were to receive a full set. Orders are orders and,particularly in war time,are obeyed. I am unaware of Fighter Command applying for an exemption for any of its units.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

that is one lovely spit steve.i personally think it doesnt matter,still looks awesome

mobear

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking very nice Steve. How did you get those invasion strips so uniform and straight?

vaughan

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
Looking very nice Steve. How did you get those invasion strips so uniform and straight?vaughan
The thing is Vaughan that they are not that uniform or straight. I spray the white first then mask that and apply the "Night". I try to get them pretty much parallel but there is a variation of about 1 mm in the widths. That's well over a scale inch on something 18inches wide. I suspect that the erks applying them may have been more accurate than that but,even in my photo,those variations don't show up much.

There's also some kind of optical illusion that makes the lighter (white) stripes look wider.

Cheers

Steve

First Name
Aaron
Hey Steve, Looking really smart. Great job on the dday stripes and i take my hat off to you for your decal applying skills.

The width of the stripes look good to the eye, well at least they look ok to my beaten and broken mk 1 eyeball.

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
I think the DDay stripes were important, Especially after the disasterous friendly fire episode over Sicily.
I must admit not knowing enough about the Sciliy episode of WW2, what happened with the friendly fire then?

By the way Steve, the Spit is looking epic with the invasion strips on :smiling3:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
I must admit not knowing enough about the Sciliy episode of WW2, what happened with the friendly fire then?
Elementsof the 82nd Airborne were to drop inland of the US bridgehead at Gela. On the way in allied naval units,followed by units on shore opened fire on their C-47 transports. 23 of 144 C-47s were shot down and the parachute landing was reduced to a shambles. More than eighty US paratroopers died in this incident.

The only special marking for "Husky",the invasion of Sicily,was the enclosing of the star on the US national marking with a yellow circle such that " all Allied aircraft will have the general similarity of a circle, i.e., the British and French roundel and the UNITED STATES circle enclosing the star."

This was obviously hopelessly inadequate,aircraft essentially operated in their normal national markings.

It was one of the reasons that a highly visible marking was adopted for aircraft operating,in day light,during "Overlord". The stripes adopted are a variation of those used by the RAF for the disastrous landings at Dieppe in August 1942.

I've toned down the camouflage and blended the deals with an overspray of a highly thinned grey colour. It's a subtle effect and doesn't show that well in my photos :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

Thanks for the info. Steve.

That's astounding that so many planes could of been shot down from friendly fire in 1 instance. Goes to show how confusing and frightening it must be in battle. Where the 82nd drops at night or during daylight?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The 505th regiment took off from Kairouan, Tunisia, around 20.00 hrs. I'm not sure how much light would have been left as they approached Sicily.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I finally got the thing,particularly the stripes,distressed a bit and dirtied up. I'm not one for heavy weathering but this was not a new aircraft and the weather in June 1944 would be very familiar to those of you here in the UK in June 2012!

I've also got a coat of matt varnish on.

Hopefully I'll get this finished in the next couple of days.....or so.

As a by the way I'm happy to see threads develop and cover what some might consider off topic subjects. It certainly doesn't bother me if this happens in my threads and I'm glad to see toleration of this generally in the forum. It is not the case everywhere. Discussions online,just like those in the real world,can develop in unexpected and interesting ways and I for one welcome that. Who'd have thought we'd have been discussing the 82nd Airborne landings in Sicily in a thread about a UK based RAF Spitfire? Great stuff and long may it continue.

Cheers

Steve

C

Cooperman69

\ said:
As a by the way I'm happy to see threads develop and cover what some might consider off topic subjects. It certainly doesn't bother me if this happens in my threads and I'm glad to see toleration of this generally in the forum. It is not the case everywhere. Discussions online,just like those in the real world,can develop in unexpected and interesting ways and I for one welcome that. Who'd have thought we'd have been discussing the 82nd Airborne landings in Sicily in a thread about a UK based RAF Spitfire? Great stuff and long may it continue.

Cheers

Steve
Thanks Steve,

That's what I like about this forum, there's always something new to learn and everyone's really friendly :smiling3:

Atb, Colin.

First Name
Aaron
\ said:
As a by the way I'm happy to see threads develop and cover what some might consider off topic subjects. It certainly doesn't bother me if this happens in my threads and I'm glad to see toleration of this generally in the forum. It is not the case everywhere. Discussions online,just like those in the real world,can develop in unexpected and interesting ways and I for one welcome that. Who'd have thought we'd have been discussing the 82nd Airborne landings in Sicily in a thread about a UK based RAF Spitfire? Great stuff and long may it continue.Cheers

Steve
Oops. Sorry i saw Dday stripes and "blurted". Good of you to not mind mate. smiley face

The spit is looking beaut mate.

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
I now have a wet lap Steve, with drool. Looking very nice, great work on the invasion stripes too mate.

Have fun, John