PCM 1/32 Spitfire Mk.XIVc

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
The detail is quite nice on this model. I'm not a fan of overdone (i.e.overscale) panel lines and rivets that would be,in scale,the size of dinner plates.

I've got this area pretty much fixed now. It will get a final fettle when I do the wing roots and possibly another one after priming :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Work has continued apace and I haven't been able to access the forum which has been one less distraction!

The result is that I have finished the major construction and primed the model.

I have used an old Spitfire trick and sealed the centre (sliding) canopy section to the others using Blu-Tac to prevent the ingress of paint. The door is also temporarily fixed as I intend eventually to have it open.

The stunning lines of a late Mark Spitfire have emerged. At one time I was considering a clipped wing version but I'm glad I didn't do it.

There are a couple of little problems,which don't show on this picture,to sort out and then I need to settle on a scheme.

Cheers

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mobear

cracking stuff steve,i knew you would sort the wing out,onwards and upwards

mobear

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Moving on to two things which often get incorrectly represented on models.

First the yellow leading edge stripes. Here's a document explaining how they were to be applied to Spitfires (and Hurricanes).

For a Spitfire the stripe is only 4 inches wide. At 1/32 scale this is a shade under 3.2mm.

I spray the leading edge yellow.

And apply a strip of masking to the leading edge which will now stay there untill all painting is finished.

When it cools down it will stick better!

Secondly the yellow propeller tips.

These too were only four inches,again in 1/32 scale just over 3mm. I often see them on models at about a scale foot!

Hope this will be of some use to everyone.

Cheers

Steve

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Steve I just happen to have a XIV on the bench awaiting primer. I am so looking forward to painting the wing stripe now as mine is the usual 1/48 scale....two millimetre.. gulp.

Guilty as charged with the propeller tips.

Looking forwards to seeing the paint go on this one Steve. I see the never existed Duck-egg has reared its ugly head again.....:laughing:

Ian M

PS can't tempt you to post that doc in the reference section could I ?

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Duck egg blue,duck egg blueish green,all sorts get mentioned but the colour was called Sky.

Notice the mixed grey to be applied in place of the "brown" (Dark Earth) on the upper surfaces. It wasn't designated "Ocean Grey",which we all call it today,until sometime later.

I'll happily post the document in the relevant place.......just got to figure out how :smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

treyzx10r

Great tip on the leading edge yellow paint Steve and looking awesome so far!

First Name
Aaron
Awesome stona, cheers for that tasty little info. I thirst for that, The builds looking fantastic so far.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I got the underside sprayed and shaded with Medium Sea Grey yesterday.

This morning I've masked the underside up and attached my handle. For those of you who spray standing up,holding the model,this works really well.

I've also applied a basic coat of Ocean Grey to the upper surfaces. I'll shade and modulate this this evening,when things have cooled down a bit in my "studio". The sun is just about to hit it,which is great,but not for spraying.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I now have the basic camouflage scheme done.

There are a few adjustments to make.

The sharp eyed will notice that the Sky band infront of the tail is a bit on the thin side. This is because this Spitfire will eventually sport a full set of invasion stripes and,as applied by 91 Sqn.on thisparticular aircraft,they overlapped the Sky band.

Cheers

Steve

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I've managed to get the invasion stripes on today. I used acrylic paints for the stipes which both speeded the process up and will allow me to weather them at the leading edge (eventually) as the camouflage has been done using enamels.

This is where I wanted to leave it for a while so I'm pleased to have got this far. Trying to work to a timetable can be dangerous when building a model.I learnt years ago not to rush!

There won't be any progress for the next couple of weeks as I've got to go and earn some money to pay for all this fun:smiling3:

Cheers

Steve

T

tecdes

Fascinated Steve.

How did you get such a clear dense white over what is in effect two lots of dark colour ?

What paint did you use & I would assume you air brushed ? Found that white is nearly as bad as yellow. Your effort really looks the part & I struggle. Not fair !

Laurie

First Name
Aaron
Those Dday stripes are works of art on thier own, Great job.