Pegaso Models Pirate, XVII Century, 1:24th scale

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Paul, very nice indeed, like the last photo, the clothing looks impressive with the highlights and shaded folds.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking very good Paul!

ATB

Andrew

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
This needs some final refinement - last few glazes, metallics, toenails ;). Tats are currently in abeyance - I can always add one if temptation gets the better of me.

I'm now pondering whether or not it needs any blacklining or edge highlights. Also, are metallics better over a gloss black undercoat, or no difference between that and matt black?
20221106_133249.jpg20221106_133335.jpg20221106_133345.jpg20221106_133400.jpg

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Paul, I'm really pleased by your progresses and by your painting skills.
If I may suggest something, I think that tar was one of the main features on sail ships as it was used on rigging and to seal the planks (sorry for the poorly naval terms :rolling:). Probably the crew was very dirt and blacker than their pots and kettles :tongue-out3:.

Andrea

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Andrea. I've agonised over this, and I'm sure you're right - sailors weren't called Jack Tars for nothing!

I had intended to 'weather' his bandanna and cut-down trackie bottoms - but I've simply bottled it. I'm putting him on shore-leave, so his clothes may be threadbare, but he's scrubbed-up nicely!

For me, he smells of tobacco, wet leather, clean sweat - and maybe a dab of Chanel No.5 he took a fancy to in a lady's chamber while out pillaging.

If that's not credible, he'll simply have to be an extra in a production of 'The Pirates of Penzance'.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looks very nice to me. Great skin tones. Love the leather jerkin in particular. Like the stripe detail on the end of the bandanna as well :thumb2:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks Tim. The bandanna's good, isn't it? I used ink for the green stripes (as suggested by you for this sort of thing) and it was surprisingly straightforward.

The skin is a bit rough in places, but I'm happy with it - so long as I've made quantifiable progress with each model (and I feel I've certainly done so with this) then I'm happy enough. And it's not for competition, so my satisfaction is all that matters!

The jerkin was a bit of a fluke, really. I went for a fairly extreme duo of main colours - a bright orangey-brown (VGC Scrofulous Brown) and a much darker VMC Mahogany Brown, with a touch of violet in the shades, and it just worked a treat. Looks like suede to me - very stylish!

Any thoughts on metallics over gloss or matt finishes? Are the contrasts strong enough? Any need for pin washing?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Most of my metals are done over matt black Paul. I only use gloss black for the really shiny stuff like chrome. On the little blokes I tend to Matt varnish over the metals and reintroduce the highlights with fresh metallics. Don’t think he needs pin washes, and his contrast is fine. Just noticed the black tip on the scabbard. Is that deliberate or have you missed it…..

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Very nice Paul. On a personal note, I would have done the sword crossguard and pommel in a natural steel. Also his pistol barrel, as at this time in history the metal parts were left "in the white". This is in no way a criticism.
John.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
That looks very good indeed Paul. As a non figure painter I can't add any suggestions or comments except to say I really like him. If I could paint as well as that I'd be a happy bunny :hugging-face:

PaulinKendal

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Thanks all. The crossguard, pommel, pistol barrel, flintlock and butt, as well as the tip and top of the scabbard will all be steel. The buckle, earring and two medallions will all be gold.