peterairfix's HMS FEARLESS 1/600

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
View attachment 70399 View attachment 70400 View attachment 70401 No you are not seeing things this is in the right place it's the wessex off the back of hms fearless it's a bit ugly but i think i got to close on the camera.also small things and big fingers don't go together.Peter t
How small! I think you did wonders with that Peter. I would have just dropped it the moment I got it off the sprue...to be lost for all eternity.

Si:smiling3:

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bunkerbarge

Now that brings back many fond memories. I built Fearless from the original boxing a long long time ago!

Still a brilliant ship.

W

Willi262

HMS Fearless (L10) was a Royal Navy ship that served from 1965 until 2002. One of two from the Landing Platform Dock (LPD) class, she was based in HMNB Portsmouth and saw service around the world over her 37 year life. She was the last steam powered surface ship in the Royal Navy.

View attachment 71145

Laid down:25 July 1962

Launched:19 December 1963

Sponsored by:Lady Hull, wife of Field Marshal Sir Richard Hull

Commissioned:25 November 1965

Decommissioned:18 March 2002

Motto:Explicit Nomen

("The name says it all")

Fate:Scrapped Ghent harbour (BE) 2008

General characteristics

Class & type:Fearless class landing platform dock

Type:Amphibious transport dock

Displacement:12,120 tons (full load)

Length:520 ft (160 m)

Beam:80 ft (24 m)

Draught:21 ft (6.4 m)

Propulsion:2 × English Electric 2 shaft gearedsteam turbines. 22,000 shp (16,000 kW) total

Speed:21 knots (39 km/h)

Complement:580

Armament:2 × BMARC GAM B01 20 mm. single mounts

2 × Phalanx CIWS

Aircraft carried:Landing platform for up to 5 Sea King helicopters.

800px-HMS_Fearless_(L10)_off_North_Carolina_1996.JPEG

C

CDW

These mottos are a bit ''pidgeon Latin'' aren't they?

Gonna be a bit geeky here, nowt new:smiling3:........

'Explicit' is the present particulate of 'explicare' .. To unfold or make clear

The 'direct' translation would be ''clearly named''

Five years of Latin at school, often thought 'what's the point'... Started having to differentiate and understand scientific names for my hobbies and later my degree and it all came clear :smiling3:

Anyway, back in the real world, that choppers minute peter.... I had trouble with the aircraft on the ark royal!

Looking forward to seeing another cracker come to life... Is this one going to be on a dio base?

W

Willi262

I think the only thing worse than trying to land a jet on a carrier flight deck, would be to try landing a helicopter on a pitching, rolling, landing pad. It was our Sea-king pilots' worst nightmare. They hated it.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I wouldn't dare breath near those copters, one slight breath and they would literally be flying...never to be seen again.

Si:smiling3:

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
I think the only thing worse than trying to land a jet on a carrier flight deck, would be to try landing a helicopter on a pitching, rolling, landing pad. It was our Sea-king pilots' worst nightmare. They hated it.

W

Willi262

If I were flying, the navy would need a bigger budget for helicopters!

(I can hear the deck officer saying "c'mon man, we haven't got all day!")

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
If I were flying, the navy would need a bigger budget for helicopters!(I can hear the deck officer saying "c'mon man, we haven't got all day!")
Well if it were me they would need much larger landing areas on their ships and many more helicopters. That is why I stick to fixed wing aeroplanes, they have most parts heading in the same direction and require nothing more than a trained monkey at the wheel.

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I've been in a helicopter flight simulator trying to do that and it was the best roller coaster I've ever been on :smiling3: I knew it was a simulator so in no danger but it must 100 times worse for real pilots.

Nice Wessex Peter :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
That is a nice ship peter well done I love it :smiling3:

peterairfix

SMF Supporter
First Name
peter
I have never done a ship like this so any help in improving her would be most welcome

cheers peter t

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
\ said:
I have never done a ship like this so any help in improving her would be most welcomecheers peter t
Maybe a little bit of a dark wash to highlight the detail then drybrush with the lighter grey you've used for the base colour

I think that's all that is needed peter but I for one like it