Pete's BV141

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
The fracture in the clear canopy doesn't look any better after a dip in Pledge. I don't want to go any further with fitting the canopies until I hear from Airfix - I don't want to use the Eduard masks before I know if I can get a replacement or not. I've glued the cockpit nacelle together though:
P1150083.JPG
I wish I hadn't glued that seat in place, I could have made it a bit more like the one in the photo Tim kindly posted, just by filing away a lot of the plastic. Oh well, too late now.
Also fitted the asymmetric tail, the port wing, and the stub wing that the crew nacelle fits onto. There's a step between the wing root and the wing surface on both sides.
More fill/sand/repeat!
P1150081.JPGP1150084.JPG
The tape is to protect the raised rivets.

Thanks for watching.
Pete

Attachments

• P1150083.JPG
    P1150083.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 0

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
That is good news Pete. As this most critical element of any aircraft build is in most cases the center of attention. Happy landings, Rick H.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Pete,
Nice work so far. Pity about the canopy but I'm sure a man of your capabilities will sort it.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
That is good news Pete. As this most critical element of any aircraft build is in most cases the center of attention. Happy landings, Rick H.
Thanks Rick. The canopy is especially important on this aircraft, being in the middle of the starboard wing. Full marks to Airfix for having a spare in stock for a 48-year old kit!
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Replacement canopy arrived today - well, yesterday actually, but I missed the postman. Unfortunately it's not a great deal better than the one I already had!
P1150085.JPGP1150086.JPG
It is better - if the original one had been like this I'd have just got on with fitting it, but having ordered a replacement it's a little disappointing that it isn't as good as expected.
I've emailed Airfix, so will see how they respond.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Reply from Airfix - this was the only one left in the box, the kit having been out of production since 2012. They offered me a refund, but I declined - I'll use this one, and it would have been greedy to ask for my money back when they've been so helpful. At least having two canopies solves the dilemma about what to do with the slot for the machine gun - I can use one, stuck with Maskol, to close the cockpit for painting, paint the better one separately, then swap them over.
Now to get on with it!
Pete

Last edited:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Managed to get a little bench time in between gardening duties. The crew are in, as is the rear gun. There are two rear canopies supplied, one open to allow firing, and one closed. I'm going to use the closed one, since I'm going to have the undercarriage down. The gun has a horizontal pivot pin that fits between to hole in the nacelle sides - I'd glued the nacelle before fitting hte gun, so had to trim a little of the pivot pin. Of course I trimmed a little too much, so had to glue it in!
P1150087.JPGP1150088.JPG
Also fitted the pilot, and the co-pilot/bomb aimer/observer. The pilot's feet looked a bit silly flapping about in the air, so I made up a couple of rudder pedals for him. Bit of a waste of time, as you can't see them, but I know they're there! Front and rear canopies are fitted, as well as the clear access door.P1150090.JPG
P1150089.JPG
The main part of the canopy (the damaged one that came with the kit) is now glued in with Maskol so I can remove it later to fit the new one that Airfix sent, which will be painted separately. Maskol is quite effective as a temporary adhesive, since it can be removed quite easily.
Now for a masking marathon:
P1150091.JPG

I may be some time...

Pete

D

Deleted member 7181

Looking great, but that's a lot of clear parts to mask. Good luck!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking great, but that's a lot of clear parts to mask. Good luck!
Thanks Andy. I bought an Eduard set of pre-cut masks, but that still means I have 84 tiny pieces of tape to persuade into the correct positions!
Pete,
Looking good, not used maskol as a temporary fix before.
Paul, someone suggested it to me at a show last year. I tried it on my Eduard 1/72 Spit and it worked well.

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
32 pieces fitted - time for a lie down in a darkened room. After a beer perhaps...

Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
More progress today - finished the canopy masking! Gave them a whiff of Pledge to seal the masking, then a coat of the interior colour, RLM02. Did the new canopy separately, and
a few undercarriage bits while the paint was in the airbrush.
P1150093.JPGP1150094.JPG

Tomorrow's main task will be to add the nacelle and the remaining part of the starboard wing. Should have painted the wheel bays today, then they could have been masked for the underside to be painted RLM65.
Anyone know what colour the bombs would have been? Tim, are you still watching?
Pete

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Dark gray, dark green or light blue. It seems manufacturer, weight & type made a difference sometimes & once in the field could be repainted depending on method of delivery eg. black if on or in a night bomber. PaulE

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Pete, still here but had no internet for a couple of days....the book doesn’t reference bomb colour I’m afraid....but it looks like Paul has nailed it....

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
OK, thanks Tim. They're now dark green. Wheels are painted RLM02 with Tamiya rubber black tyres. Nacelle is on, wings are joined, prop & spinner RLM70.
P1150095.JPGP1150096.JPGP1150097.JPGP1150098.JPG
I was going to take my Triumph to a car show today, but it's raining, so I might get a bit more modelling done.
Thanks for watching.
Pete

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Been a bit busy in the 1:1 world, but I've managed to get the underside painted in RLM65, then masked and painted the topside overall in RLM70. I'll give that a couple of days before I mask for the splinter camo in RLM71.
P1150110.JPG
Conveniently, the upper surface of the cockpit nacelle is entirely RLM71. I'm a bit worried about creepage under the masking, as there is a lot of raised detail on this plane, so I sprayed the underside colour round the edges of the masking before applying the upper colour. The engine cowling is held on with blue-tack, as it seems easier to paint it as part of the fuselage before adding the engine and prop.
More soonish.

Pete