Petes Spitfire GB. Chat thread.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
That would be interesting to see Dave. Usually that’s an issue with spitfires because of the moulding thickness of the clear parts. The sliding part always sits too high. I made the (very old) 1/48 Airfix MkI, not the current moulding….and had to resort to digging away the body under the sliding part to get it to sit down properly. Strangely it doesn’t really show under the canopy….mostly because of the thickness of the moulding.
Personally I will make mine an “open top” but in this case Airfix have cheated by giving me a clear moulding of the sliding canopy in place over the rear part. That just becomes a tricky masking challenge……

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That would be interesting to see Dave. Usually that’s an issue with spitfires because of the moulding thickness of the clear parts.
I think Dave is referring to the engine cowls and not the canopy.. or can of peas as my auto correct wanted to type. lol
The ICM is made so the engine can be shown.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Oh yes - I meant the engine - which can create a problem.................
engine 1.jpg
As you can see - quite a detailed engine..........................BUT
engine 2.jpg
I reckon it's impossible to fit the engine, and have the cowlings closed, you have to carve away parts of the rockers to get the upper cowling to fit - BUT you need the engine to locate the propeller shaft & exhaust stubs! - It takes a little while to figure that out! I basically skeletonised the engine, just leaving the location points.
Incidentally, the ICM models have two separate sets of canopies - the moving part is actually a bit bigger, so it will fit over the static
canopy.jpg

I think I've made two ICM Spitfires before, they can be a bit tricky in places ( engine & gunbay doors ), but make up into nice models.
Dave

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Oh yes - I meant the engine - which can create a problem.................
View attachment 452142
As you can see - quite a detailed engine..........................BUT
View attachment 452141
I reckon it's impossible to fit the engine, and have the cowlings closed, you have to carve away parts of the rockers to get the upper cowling to fit - BUT you need the engine to locate the propeller shaft & exhaust stubs! - It takes a little while to figure that out! I basically skeletonised the engine, just leaving the location points.
Incidentally, the ICM models have two separate sets of canopies - the moving part is actually a bit bigger, so it will fit over the static
View attachment 452140

I think I've made two ICM Spitfires before, they can be a bit tricky in places ( engine & gunbay doors ), but make up into nice models.
Dave
No worries Dave. It was my error……I had a similar cowling fit issue with an Italeri Stuka I made a few years ago. Had to leave the covers off the engine because they wouldn’t fit when it was in place. Couldn’t leave the engine out either….that’s what the prop attaches too ;)

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
1st of June at a guess Tim.
Judging by the header at the top of the page ;)
Ah, right…Thanks Steve. I was looking for the date in the first posting……and was too lazy to go back and find the original discussion thread LOL. Should have time to get this one done before the Mozzy build starts then!