PHASE 2 LIMITED RUN 'LOST IN SPACE' ORIGINAL SERIES LASER GUN 1/1 SCALE...NEED ADVICE.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Hi guys, I have a phase 2 resin laser gun from 'Lost in Space' original series, this gun featured in series 2 and 3 and is the silver version.

Now, working in resin is not something I am used to so have some questions:

1: What adhesive/glue do I use?

2: What filler can I use to cover up any air bubble holes, domestic, car etc?

2: Can resin be softened via heat? Reason, there are some Rhinstones in the rear of the gun, they are sunken so can I use a hot screwdriver or the like to make holes instead of drilling?

4: Is car primer okay to use before a top coat of silver is added?

I know I make models and have used various media and paints etc but resin is a newbie to me and this kit is limited to 1 out of 150 made so don't want to make a right hash of it.

All hints, tips, comments welcome.

Si:smiling3:

P

Polux

The resin is new for me too :oops:

But I can say one correct glue is (superglue). For a better result sand softly the parts that must be glued.

For holes and other "problems" think the tamiya putty is more than correct too.

An important thing is, when you want to paint, first wash all the pieces with water and soap. And the last option is sand all the set with a very, very sand paper (tamiya modelling) before the primer coat on the pieces.

If you will paint the silvering colour, better a light primer!

If you want to show a weathered and old aluminium, paint a final green wash, very soft and subtle.

Good luck with the build, sounds very interesting :smiling3:

Polux

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Thank you Polux, appreciate it mate.

This is the gun from the TV series: http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com/img_lib/Laser%20Pistol%20Replica%2014%202-16-12.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Here is the most important bits.

1. wash in warm soapy water before building.

2. Superglue, two part epoxy, the later takes longer, but is better for big heavy things, CA is brittle.

3. Resin is toxic. Always wear a mask when sanding, sawing or drilling.

4. Not sure about poking holes in it with a hot implement. See above. Drill it. it will be safer and less chance of melting the whole thing into a toxic cloud.

5.small holes can be filled with CA and talc. Nasty big ones I use a two part epoxy putty. (Milliput).

6. If the ground work is fine, you could use any primer. The most decisive factor is the type of paint you are going to put on top.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Here is the most important bits.1. wash in warm soapy water before building.

2. Superglue, two part epoxy, the later takes longer, but is better for big heavy things, CA is brittle.

3. Resin is toxic. Always wear a mask when sanding, sawing or drilling.

4. Not sure about poking holes in it with a hot implement. See above. Drill it. it will be safer and less chance of melting the whole thing into a toxic cloud.

5.small holes can be filled with CA and talc. Nasty big ones I use a two part epoxy putty. (Milliput).

6. If the ground work is fine, you could use any primer. The most decisive factor is the type of paint you are going to put on top.

Ian M
Superb Ian, thank you so much for your input. I have milliput so that is handy and two part epoxy, may drill and add dowels for extra strength. I have a rubber filter mask so will wear that when working on it. As for paint I was going to use a silver Enamel spray then highlight in chrome then seal in gloss varnish.

This is what this site is...helpful and just superb! A £5 kit is great for making mistakes and faffing with, a limited run product isn't, so want to be armed before I tackle this.

Thank you again.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Heres one I forgot. When you are sanding and sawing, place a couple of sheets damp kitchen roll on the bench. It catches the dust and makes clearing up a doddle.

Ian M

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
Heres one I forgot. When you are sanding and sawing, place a couple of sheets damp kitchen roll on the bench. It catches the dust and makes clearing up a doddle.Ian M
Brilliant tip, I'll remember that one, thank you again Ian.

W

Willi262

You can bore through resin with a heated tip. It melts just like plastic. Sustained heat could cause a fire, but short, hot, pokes should be fine. I have done so with no ill effect.

Resin is basically a big block of hardened superglue. That's why superglue works best on it, they're pretty much the same thing. Also why the dust is toxic.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
\ said:
You can bore through resin with a heated tip. It melts just like plastic. Sustained heat could cause a fire, but short, hot, pokes should be fine. I have done so with no ill effect.Resin is basically a big block of hardened superglue. That's why superglue works best on it, they're pretty much the same thing. Also why the dust is toxic.
Thank you Steve for the help, appreciate it mate.