Phone camera

R

Robo

Looking to get some better close up pictures with my phone camera I've been looking at these clip on lenses, which are macro and wide angle they virtually just clip over the top of your smart phone and cover the camera lens. There sold on Amazon and are not very dear, I've seen the you tube videos and they seem to work ok, if you can believe all they say. Has anybody used them at all.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not used one of those, but another option is to photograph from further away, then crop the picture to just show the bit you want to show.....it will probably give you better quality as well...camera shake will be less pronounced for example....

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
which phone ?
my phone can take a 16 megapixel image and i tend to upload approx 3 megapixel images so can take a picture from further and crop with no loss of detail.

Kelly McFadden

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kelly
I’ve been using one that I ought on Amazon last year on my iPhone 8. For the price it’s great. I take all the detail pictures of my tiny dioramas with the macro clip on. The tricky thing is the field of focus is extremely small so it takes a few shots to get things in focus.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
I just use my Sony mobil camera. Can normally get in close. About 10cm and it starts having focus issues. Can be hard to hold still at times.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I take the pictures I post on this forum with my iPad, no attachment lenses or anything. Like Tim says, it often helps to hold the camera back a bit and then crop the photo to the parts you actually want, especially for detail shots that you can’t zoom in on properly — the image size (in pixels) of a decent phone or tablet camera will be high enough that you can crop a lot off and still have photos left that will look good on a forum like this (which resizes all images to 1024 pixels wide or high anyway, if they’re bigger than that).

R

Robo

I’ve been using one that I ought on Amazon last year on my iPhone 8. For the price it’s great. I take all the detail pictures of my tiny dioramas with the macro clip on. The tricky thing is the field of focus is extremely small so it takes a few shots to get things in focus.
Have you tried the wide angle one.

Kelly McFadden

SMF Supporter
First Name
Kelly
[/QUOTE]
Have you tried the wide angle one.
Hi Robo.
I tried the wide angle clip on lens. My stuff is so small that I have to get really close and unfortunately that doesn't work with the wide angle attachment. I've thought about getting a telephoto attachment.

Last edited: