Photoetch for the first time

P

popeye

Hi all I have just ordered myself a 1:35 scale tank with eduards photoetch that will be a new thing for me.

Can you advise any quick tips that I should know about when working with PE before sticking away! Lol.

Do you all tend to complete assembling the model including PE before carrying out any painting?

What glue do you recommend for applying PE to the plastic models.

Thanks all

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Try this thread http://www.scale-models.co.uk/threads/how-to-use-photoetch.16558/

Ian M

T

tecdes

Just add Popeye.

There are two glues with the name Gaytor.

You want the Gator Acrylic Glue NOT Gator Everbuild glue.

How on earth I came to know all that first class information I will never know :sad:

Laurie

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Superglue or something like the Gator's Grip that Laurie suggests will work for photo-etch. The acrylic glue will give you more wiggle room than superglue.

You'll need a good pair of tweezers. You can generally bend the parts using a straight edged blade if you don't want to invest in a purpose built folder (I don't have one). Round parts can be rolled around drill bits of the relevant diameter. You might need some magnification too.

Treat the PE just like any other part of the model, when you paint will depend on your own system. There's no reason to paint the PE parts before or after anything else.

Cheers

Steve

P

popeye

Guys where sells Gator acrylic glue in the uk? Can't find it.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Go to the top of the page and click on the Scale Model Shop logo!!!

It is one of the things that comes and goes in waves. It is only a cottage industry that makes it and some times the supply dries up. The correct name for the glue is Gator's Grip glue.

Ian M

P

popeye

Ok so what's the next best thing if it's virtually impossible to get a hold of? Lol

I mean make and model.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
popeye I us pe with a lot of my models but recently I have noticed that I use only a small portion of the pe kit on any given model , it depends on the kit quality , for glue I use super glue but no particular brand I use a thick type which allows me to move the part into final position, I also use a sewing needle eyed end to apply the superglue in a controlled manner.

Steve

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
Oh and don't forget to tape a black cloth (old jumper , bathroom mate) to the floor under your work station , there will be very small pieces and if you drop one you could be crawling around the floor for hours looking for it , this method you can see the pe better and it also limits the bounce and normally stays where it falls :smiling3:

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
wonder if you can get black cloth that goes from floor to ceiling :smiling3: dam it there goes another piece into the carpet from hell

steve

First Name
Gregg
I would also suggest investing in a Fibre pen, to clean up the fret prior to gluing.

It provides a mechanical etch for the glue to grip to. Plus many other uses. Not expensive and I believe John stocks them!View attachment 70072

Gregg

Modelling Tools (5).JPG

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

I heard that superglue can be used as well is this true?