Photography

First Name
Edward
I have a passion for photography, especially architectural buildings and ruins. over the years I've built up quite a collection of photos from cites and subjects over the last 8 years or so; a few are below:

C7D_3386.jpgC7D_3363.jpgC7D_4120.jpgC7D_6538wm.jpgC7D_6574-2.jpgC7D_6582-2.jpgC7D_6596-3.jpgC7D_6606-2.jpgC7D_3387.jpgC7D_3452.jpgC7D_3996.jpgC7D_4106.jpgC7D_4113.jpg

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Lovely shots Ed. I especially like the Colosseum and Triumphal arch. Nice black and white work in general, it brings out the texture of the buildings well. Are these hand held or tripod? What gear are you using?
I dabbled for a while in wildlife photography, but since we moved last year have not picked up the camera.

First Name
Edward
Thanks Tim, I love it but I need to get out to aircraft displays more! Everything there with the exception of the dancer in the abbey is handheld. I use a Canon 7D and a variety of Canon lenses but I also used a Canon 550D for some work on occasions. I used both when I shot my niece's wedding a few years ago, but that was more for convenience (lens changing, etc).

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ed

Thanks for sharing. As Tim said they are very good indeed.

ATB

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice, I’m a Canon 7D2 user as well. My most used lense for bird shots is the 100 - 400 L zoom with a 1.4 converter. I know the big 500 and 600 primes are top quality, but they are just too dear and too heavy for me. I think you’d need a team of Sherpas to carry your gear if you were out on a shoot with them.....

First Name
Edward
Nice, I’m a Canon 7D2 user as well.
Lovely bit of kit - mine's first edition and a few years old now but in almost new condition. Many years ago (pre-digital) I was a religious follower of all things Nikon and had F50, F80, and F90s, but I wouldn't go back to film media now. Digital is too convenient and "instantaneous".

I have some basic lenses (usual kit lenses), which come with the kit, but my favourite purchase is the Canon 85mm f1.8 USM, I also bought a 50mm f1.8 STM but that was under a ton and produces some lovely shots.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Pre digital I was still an EOS user. Started with a 500 then progressed to a second hand EOS 5 which I absolutely loved. Traded it for a 60D when I went digital, but never liked it much. It never seemed to be accurately in focus. Perhaps I should have had it serviced?
Finally went to the EOS 7D2 a few years ago and can’t see me ever wanting anything else. What I love are the pre configured settings. Birds move quick so one touch settings for birds in flight and birds on branches are very useful, enabling a quick switch from one to the other. The tracking and focus are excellent as well. After not using it for so long I’ll probably have to relearn it all next time I get it out ;)

Reactions: JR

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Ed,
very nice - I don't think I would have had the courage to take the Auschwitz pictures.
I was a Minolta adherent, but made the decision to go digital early. I traded a brace of Minoltas, lenses etc. for a Minolta Dimage - lovely camera, built like a tank ( and same weight ). This was a battery guzzler ( 4 x AA ), and that was replaced by a Panasonic Lumix. I now use a Fuji FinePix SL240, which does far more than I could ever need.
Tragically, my complete collection of photographs & transparancies ( and cine film ) of my travels in the Merchant Navy - about 15 years worth have gone. My late Mother in one of her periodic clear outs disposed of them ( they were in storage in the parental loft ). She was gradually suffering from dementia, so couldn't remember when or how they went. She didn't throw the family photographs away, but took all the prints out of the albums ( they took up too much room.................. ) and stored them loose in a metal box. All the details of who when & where gone. I still have them, but all anonymous!
Dave

First Name
Edward
@Tim Marlow - You'll definitely have to get out again. It's like when Rubik's cubes first came out; bloody annoying to work out, but could not put it down for more than 5 minutes without having another go.

@Dave Ward - That really is a shame, dementia is a horrible beast; we're starting to go through it with my mother-in-law. and the deterioration is alarming.

• Sad

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Photography is one skill I am genuinely envious of. Being able to judge all the variable to be able to get the result you want makes my little brain hurt.

I did buy my wife a Fuji X100T on a recommendation years a go which I dabble with now and then.

Any tips for beginners?

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
The only thing I would add to Ed’s tip is to critically evaluate your work afterwards. Not in a negative sense, but have a look and see what could have been easily improved. After you’ve done that a few times you will start eliminating the more annoying issues (such as a lamp post growing out of the subjects head).

D

Deleted member 5496

Photography is one skill I am genuinely envious of. Being able to judge all the variable to be able to get the result you want makes my little brain hurt.

I did buy my wife a Fuji X100T on a recommendation years a go which I dabble with now and then.

Any tips for beginners?

Chris

Just get your camera and go out there. Choose a subject & take photos in a number of ways. An attractive tree. From a distance. Close up into the tops standing next to the trunk looking up.

Down the main street. Fantastic shots of crowds of people walking down the pavement just lots of action.

Lay on the ground for shots works well with a dog looking up into the face. Endless things.

Not the camera although useful to know how to use it. But that comes with experiment what you want to use it for.

But essential in photography is, for me, seeing subjects is slightly unusual positions to the usual eye position. Just create interest for the viewer.

Just keep shooting not willy nilly think about the shot & do not be frightened to take many of the same subject. Costs nothing you will then get an idea of what works best.

Laurie

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I once had a chat with David Bailey, the fashion photographer in the sixties/seventies, and asked him what was the secret of taking great photos - he replied that he just took loads of photos - hundreds of each commission - then picked out the best two or three. This was of course in the film days, so taking that many photos used a lot of film!
Pete

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
It works Peter. I once got the dubious accolade of being included in the best shots of the Week on Flickr. The shot was taken at red kite feeding centre in Wales . I took about 1400 shots in about an hour........by the end my arms were so tired I could hardly hold up the camera and long lense. Fantastic spectacle to see if we’re ever allowed back into Wales.

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Edward

I'm another photography fan. Lots of wildlife around here (wilds of Quebec). I am a NIKON person though still using an excellent D300 with a lot of lenses. I also got a 50mm f1.8 to play with and you are right produces some great images. I even got a diopter to go with it for extreme closeups, particularly useful for some models.

John

dave

SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Another Photographer I mainly take Landscapes and am like John a Nikon person.
As Laurie says the best way to improve is to take lots of photographs and importantly look at them critically. This is much easier and cheaper these days, no film to buy and the camera records the settings for you. Back when i did my City and Guilds Photography i was using 2 or 3 films a week and had notebooks for the details of each shot.

Graeme C.

SMF Supporter
First Name
Graeme
I'm another photographer! I started out with a Zenit 12 many years ago, then upgraded to a Pentax ME-Super which I still have, with money I got for my 21st & I'm 52 now! Now I have a Sony Alpha 57, digital is much more convenient but you end snapping away endlessly, with film I had to think more about the picture. Mostly I shoot landscapes, during lockdown I was out walking every day, taking photos in my local area which is semi rural with a nature reserve, which kept me more or less sane!

First Name
Carl
I like to dabble in landscape photography mostly when the mood takes me, I’ve had several canon 5d full frame cameras over the years and many different lens but I found myself not taking the camera out as often as I should die to the bulk and weight of theses cameras especially when combined with some telephoto lens.
I opted for a big shift last year and have now converted to a Panasonic LUMIX G9, mirrorless camera and at a fraction of the weight and size.
it’s certainly a lot easier to carry around.
these are the kind of pictures I like to take.

8CA7DD83-B2AD-47B3-8B59-5CC51774C875.jpegEDC57FF1-F0BC-4C38-A6D7-3F3747191814.jpegA22F5AD5-7C93-42BD-A67A-E28746AB9A12.jpeg

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice shots Carl. I especially like the bee taking off......not an easy capture.