picked the air but boy oh boy no idea about the compressor+ additional kit required

P

premacy10

Hi all,

after some investigation and help from this site forums (thanks all) i have decided on the Iwata Revolution CR airbrush , this will be used for general modelling tanks, planes etc. I am looking to spend approx £80 to £100 on the compressor, any thoughts anyone , and does anyone have a trusted supplier as i have read about fake goods being bought on line.

Does anyone know of any good websites detailng what you need ontop of the airbrush paints, thinners , cleaning products etc as the closer I come to buying the more nervous Im becoming as I understand the concept of the airbrush and have painted with larger spray guns ,but they were plugged in and running.

Thanks for looking and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Antony

M

msm2

Morning have a look at these.

Airbrush Compressors | Airbrushes | Compressors

Absolute-Airbrush.co.uk

Everythingairbrush AS Series Compressors

airbrush pro airbrushes and mini compressors

Have a good look. I got my compressor off E-Bay as a kit and have had no probs with it.

Tony..

M

m1ks

As Tony says most miini compressors are plenty good enough, bear in mind a large spray gun requires pressures (typically) from 35+ PSI and a large quantity of air on tap for the displacement required, an airbrush typically requires a low displacement and pressures from 10PSI to about 25PSI max.

I bought a kit to start like this one,

COMPLETE AIRBRUSH COMPRESSOR KIT COLOUR TWIN AIR BRUSH on eBay (end time 04-Oct-10 10:09:08 BST)

The only thing i'd say is get a compressor like this but with an air tank, (which is the next thing I want), simply for an air reserve and minimising fluctuations.

M

msm2

This is the one I brought.No problems with it.

2010 MODEL AIRBRUSH KIT COMPLETE WITH COMPRESSOR AS186 on eBay (end time 05-Oct-10 22:13:44 BST)

Tony..

B

Bunkerbarge

You definately need a tank built in you will be continually frustrated if you don't as the brush pressure varied as you operate it.

If you can possibly stretch your resources, save for a little bit longer, sell something to fund it etc. I would go for something that is much more useful.

I have a Clarke SHHH! compressor with a 9 litre tank and it cost about £250.00. The beauty of it is:

A) It's very quiet in operation so doesn't bother anyopne, including yourself!

B) It has the required reservoir with a regulator to maintain a consistent pressure

c) You can also use it with a whole range of clip on tools which can be just as usefull around the workshop, such as air guns. You can even pump up the car types with it!

D) You won't need anything else for many years to come.

If you can raise the funds it is really worth it.

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
Don't forget I can supply you with your airbrush, I also stock cleaners, thinners, paints etc, I can also supply you with a Iwata compressor not the cheapest but a good one, you can also take advantage of the offer I have at the moment for Vallejo model air, every 6 you buy you get 1 free.

I have the same compressor as Tony has linked to and I find it a good compressor, worth the money

P

premacy10

hi are you talking about the COMPRESSOR AS186

which retails on ebay for £86, would this work with thw iwata airbrush, do you have this or something similar.

regards

Antony

john

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
John
I did a review on that compressor you can find it here you can get it here for only £79.95 and I don't know if it still works but use code SCALEMODELS to save you 10%

In answer to your question yes it will work fine with it.

P

premacy10

Hi John.

thanks for the time and effort for answering and the review, thats definately on the short list.

regards

Antony

P

Plastickitbasher

I use the following compressor, I've been using this one for about two years and have found it to more than up to the job.

4750051 Mantua Compressor (4Bar) Available NOW from Models In Motion

Hope the above helps

Regards

David

P

premacy10

Hi David,

thanks for the info had not come across this but definately worth considering, anyone else used this.

regards

Antony