Pin wash removal of excess

BarryW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
I don’t know if I was just slow on the uptake but until just a few builds ago I would use a pin wash on a gloss varnished surface, using enamel washes and removed excess with a brush slightly dampened in odourless thinner. I was never really happy with the result simply because even with the brush slightly damp with thinner the wash would often be removed from the panel lines leaving an inconsistent result needing a second application.

So I tried something different and it works.

First instead of gloss, spray with a semi-gloss (it worked on a semi-matt surface too). The enamel panel liner still flows well but also manages to get a better grip.

Then for removal of the surplus I use a DRY cotton bud. No thinner used at all. So far I have had a perfect result, not just on panel lines but on ribbing and other detail too.

Where the aircraft is exposed to air flow always wipe in the direction of airflow of course. Or at least finish off with a airflow direction wipe.

It does sometimes need a bit of burnishing with a clean cotton bud to get it just right but it gives a great effect.

The picture is the inside of my ICM 1/48 He111 and you can see the wash right in the corners where it needs to be while between the ribs it has take away that newly painted look.
E0B0B1FC-48C7-491F-B30B-ACB3581DD50E.jpeg
My next step is a semi-matt varnish which gives just enough grip for a dry brush with metal powders to provide that worn metal affect needed and bring out the highlights. Job done.

Last edited:

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Gavin
Now that is interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Always good to hear how someone else does this. That looks very effective so I’ll keep that one filed away if I may ;) .
Damp brush is great for fading out stains and streaks from over applications though…..and a matt finish can promote coffee staining if you are overzealous with an overall wash. Best way to avoid that effect for an overall wash on a surface is to dampen the surface with thinners before applying the wash.