PJ's Tamiya 1/35 T-62A

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave. Great kit for my mate P.J. to get his teeth into. Tell him to watch out for those turret grab rails....

Give him my regards and also the best of luck with his build.

Ron

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
How many are you going to build? I like this one but you can build as many as you like I hope to get mine done and start a 1/72 Italeri

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
How many are you going to build? I like this one but you can build as many as you like I hope to get mine done and start a 1/72 Italeri

Lee, I'm only building the T-35 (although I have an idea for something else as well - I'll have to see how well this goes). PJ is my grandson and doesn't have a 'puter or camera so I'm doing the blog for his T-62 build as well as my own.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave. Great kit for my mate P.J. to get his teeth into. Tell him to watch out for those turret grab rails....

Give him my regards and also the best of luck with his build.

Ron

PJ was here earlier and read your reply. He says thanks for the support and he'll do his best.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi folks. PJ is making a start on this - at least he will be when this 'erbert shifts!

IMGP4185.JPG

First issue with this old kit is this gap between the hull and top deck. It's because the rear plate is too high. Should PJ trim that down or would it be easier to fit a strip of plasticard inside the hull?

IMGP4184.JPG

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi PJ
Good choice of kit. Black plastic - that's a bit unusual (well it is to me anyway) As for the gap, if you do decide to fill it I'd scrounge some plastic strip off granddad. Your little furry helper looks cute but cat hairs in paint ain't good :thinking:
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I think (or seem to remember) that the engine deck fits inside the rear plate, not on top of it. These kits were designed to be motorised, with the whole upper hull detachable, and they often fitted like that.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Hi PJ
Good choice of kit. Black plastic - that's a bit unusual (well it is to me anyway) As for the gap, if you do decide to fill it I'd scrounge some plastic strip off granddad. Your little furry helper looks cute but cat hairs in paint ain't good :thinking:
Jim

Jim - it only looks black 'cos of my poor photo skills. The plastic is actually dark green.

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
I think (or seem to remember) that the engine deck fits inside the rear plate, not on top of it. These kits were designed to be motorised, with the whole upper hull detachable, and they often fitted like that.

I've had a closer look Jakko and everything I see - except for the gaps shown - tells me the deck fits on top and not inside.

The rear plate fits perfectly into the hull with locating tabs on each side and on the underside of the deck. It also fits absolutely flush into the rear deck with the deck fitting perfectly at both the rear and front ends.

IMGP4190.JPG

You can just see the locating tabs in the holes on the hull sides.

IMGP4189.JPG

The fit of the rear plate inside the deck is so good I can't believe it's not right.

It's a bit of a mystery as Tamiya is known for their quality of fit - although this one is a bit ancient. Maybe their designers had an off day?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Dave, out of curiosity, I've just opened my kit and had a dry fit.
Seems what P. J has done thus far is correct.
He will need a bit of thin plastic card to fill the gaps though.
I hope you don't mind, but here are a couple of shots, which are better than words which indicates he/you are correct thus far.
P1320298.JPG

First time loose fit, even before cleaning up!
P1320296.JPG

Onwards and upwards P.J. :thumb2:

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Dave, out of curiosity, I've just opened my kit and had a dry fit.
Seems what P. J has done thus far is correct.
He will need a bit of thin plastic card to fill the gaps though.
I hope you don't mind, but here are a couple of shots, which are better than words which indicates he/you are correct thus far.
View attachment 445320

First time loose fit, even before cleaning up!
View attachment 445321

Onwards and upwards P.J. :thumb2:

Glad to see I've still got a few marbles rattling around! Thanks Ron.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I've had a closer look Jakko and everything I see - except for the gaps shown - tells me the deck fits on top and not inside.
Going by your pictures and Ron’s, I’d say my memory was wrong :smiling3: My excuse is that it’s been about 30 years since I built this kit …

It's a bit of a mystery as Tamiya is known for their quality of fit - although this one is a bit ancient. Maybe their designers had an off day?
Quite probably they had one with the entire kit. Like I said earlier, its’s not exactly known for its accuracy.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Keep positive P.J.
Don't rush things. Just take your time.

Trust me, despite some adverse comments, it'll still make up into a nice model.

Ron

Last edited:

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Some progress.

Got the wheels painted. PJ used VMA Nato Black for the tyres, and a circle template and VMA Russian Green for the wheels. Not perfect, but he's done a good job of them. Got some touch -up to do on the sprue attachments.

IMGP4191.JPG

Also got the larger bits fitted to the hull top and turret. Got to sort out the gap between the hull and deck before we go any further.

IMGP4192.JPG

This kit has rubber band tracks which are supposed to be joined by the time honoured method of heating a screwdriver blade and 'riveting' pegs into holes. I remember trying this as a kid and using a lot of staples or cotton stitches to finish the job having completely melted away the pegs. Anyone got any suggestions?

PS Jakko - don't worry about your 30 year old memory. I meant to say something when you posted, but by the time I'd finished reading other posts - must have been nearly 20 minutes - I'd forgotten!