Planet Models 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk21. finished

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well here it is the one all the racing aircraft fans have been waiting for since I promised one two Spitfires ago.

As it stands the kit was a Planet Models resin kit, and the first go at an all resin kit for me. also an other first. Vac formed canopies. How much fun are they?

A tip to others, mask and maybe paint the thing before cutting them out. it makes it 100 time easier.

The Decals are by Life Like and are actually for the mkXVI but the fit was actually OK.

Main airframe is done with Alclad II dark alu and the engine covers with their polished alu.

Hope you like it and comments are welcome.

View attachment 43796 View attachment 43795 View attachment 43797 View attachment 43798 View attachment 43799 View attachment 43800 View attachment 43801 View attachment 43802

And I have not made the doors for the tail wheel yet, I am going on the idea that I can nick some from another kit later.

Ian M

View attachment 47020

View attachment 47021

View attachment 47022

View attachment 47023

View attachment 47024

View attachment 47025

View attachment 47026

View attachment 47027

28.jpg

29.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Ian. Even with a crap connection which means I've only looked at a couple of your piccies properly I can see that this is another beauty. What a fantastic aeroplane the Spitfire is!

M

mobear

W.....O.....W Ian my man thats beautiful first class build

mobear

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Now that is nice.

Cracking finish and great pictures.

Nice one Ian.

Ron

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Now that looks beautiful ian! Its a nice change to see a spit in something other than camo , and i think the silver finish really suits it. How did you find the resin kit to build? I know that the vacform canopies are a bit tricky, but youve done this one perfectly. 5 star job , and i didnt even know about the tailwheel doors until you said !! cheers tony

D

dubster72

That's a top job you've done there Ian. The paintwork is pin sharp & let's the lovely resin detail come out a treat.

Did you have to mask the red stripes yourself or are they decals?

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks guys.

The stripes are decals Patrick, and they were a pain to get down on the wings. All those bumps and humps. Several generous coats of micro sol where called for.

Tony; on the whole it was a joy to build. some of the ultra fine details where a bit of a swine at cut from the casting block with out breaking them and the seam for the two halfs of the fuselage was fun. Me and CA are not best friends. I did find that all the dust from sanding the parts is a great filler for sprinkling onto the CA.

Ian M

T

treyzx10r

Ian great looking Spit! First time go at resin and vac canopy looks like a total success!!! Brilliant results and the finish is superb ,5 stars well earned. Nicely done Sir!

A

andyrobs

Hi Ian, cracking build mate, 5 stars from me mate.

Cheers, Andrew

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
Cracking work Ian, a beautiful build of a beautiful plane.

Tony.

V

Vajled

ufff, me and my sticking nose into WIP and I miss beauties here

5* from me...

Great looking Spit

Roman

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin