Planet Models 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk21.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Some of you might recall that I made a thread a while back called BAC Spitfire XIV which went a bit tits up when I found out I had the wrong Mk of spitfire. Well Out of that I did get loads of good info about the real Silver racer Spit. It was a Mk 21 and was one of the few with a six blade contra prop.

A while ago I got hold of a Mk 21 Spitfire from Planet Models. An all resin kit....(gulp).

A few days ago, I got hold of a six bladed contra prop from Heriatage Aviation Models. It was a part of a conversion set so I had to pay the princly sum of £12.50 for the set just to get the darm prop!! I will just say that the planet Spit was not that cheap either... 'nough said!

Any ways. I got the urge to start on this while trying to figure out what the heck to do for the next group build.....

Enough waffle her is the bit you will skip to anyway.

View attachment 42588 View attachment 42589

First off here is the very solid box made 100% of corrugated card. The wing and the fuselage halves each in there own bag, the small parts in two bags inside a larger bag. So its a very well packed kit.

View attachment 42594 View attachment 42593

The wing is one part, none of that typical one bottom part plus a top left and top right to get lined up and fit. Very nice detail and only a light clean up.

View attachment 42596 View attachment 42597 View attachment 42595

The Fuselage is also very clean and crisp with just a hair fine 'flash' around the cockpit opening. Strait and flat and all lines up. The detail is very nice both inside and out.

View attachment 42590 View attachment 42592 View attachment 42591

The small bits are also well cast. some of them are very tight to the casting block so will be fun to remove. The instrument panel has detail which is maybe on the light side and will be a challenge to paint.

Wheels/tyres two sets, four and tree spoke. Some one in the packageing department made a boob. Some how I have three exhaust stacks but no control stick- I have sent them an e-mail so will have to wait and see what they say/do. Otherwise I will have to scavenge one from a Tamiya spit!!! Bit of a pain as the pit is the first thing to build and paint. I 'spose I could drop a stick in it later if the need arises.

I also need a harness though so I might just have to wait.

Ian M

View attachment 45918

View attachment 45919

View attachment 45920

View attachment 45921

View attachment 45922

View attachment 45923

View attachment 45924

View attachment 45925

View attachment 45926

View attachment 45927

01 Mk21 box.jpg

02 Mk 21 in box.jpg

03 little bits.jpg

04 close up.jpg

05 close up.jpg

06 one piece wing top.jpg

07 wing bottom.jpg

08 inside fusalage.jpg

09 outside fuselage.jpg

10 fuselage.jpg

V

Vajled

woow... this one need real masterfull hands...

but I know it's in right hands where sutch a kit must be... :smiling3:

Wish you luck in building this big resin kit :smiling3:

Roman

D

dubster72

An all resin kit sounds very interesting Ian. I'll look forward to seeing this one go together, and the contra-rotating prop is not seen much which makes it extra interesting!

Cheers

Patrick

T

treyzx10r

Ian really looking forward to this one,I've yet to muster the nerve to tackle a resin kit.

First Name
Aaron
Ian im wow as well. What a resin beastie this is, I look forward to updates. Top class. :music_toot:

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
\ said:
Ian really looking forward to this one,I've yet to muster the nerve to tackle a resin kit.
It will be my først all resin kit as dell. So slow ahead.

IanM

E

Edgar Brooks

From what I've found, over the years, some 21 cockpits were black, some green (possibly because the 21 was modified to be made to Admiralty requirements; the seat would have remained red, though,) and, if you're doing a contra-prop version, it would have had the post-war QS harness, and a broader-chord (late XIV/XVIII style) rudder. The fin was cut down by 2", and the rudder had a deeper horn by the same amount; not sure who'd notice that, even in 1/48, though.

If your subject is green/grey, you'll be fine, but, if you're doing a silver airframe, watch out for unpainted engine covers; there seems to have been a shortage of silver paint that could stick to an aircraft, at high speed, which is why Camm had the Hunter prototype painted Sky.

Edgar

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Edgar

I will indeed be doing the Bournemouth racer. Speed silver with red cross. So if you have any thing directly

Relating to it please let me know. I have the info you sent about the paint .

IanM

M

mobear

I never knew about resin kits till i got here,so will be keeping one eye on this build

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
So I'm under no pressure then... :confused:

So found a photo of a QS harness, does any one know of a maker of them in 1/48 scale? Failing that how wide where the webbing?

Regarding the rudder, the one in the kit looks like it fits the bill, I will try to take a picture and get it approved before I fit it...

The few pictures I have found of a mk21 are nearly all B&W so the actual colour is a bit doubtful however the contrast between the instrument board and diverse "dinganoter" (Danish tech talk same as thingamijigs). against the cock pit walls would suggest that the cockpits where Green Grey. Or is it Grey Green? Cockpit green, so we all know what I mean!!!

Edgar, would it only of been the top most cowl over the Engine that was Polished bare metal or was it all the cowling's? I recall reading some thing about fuel, oil and heat was more than the Speed Silver 'paint' could handle. Another point that I would like a bit of info on is are the struts and wheel wells, and the inside of the U/C doors. Would they have all been sprayed Silver on the inside, or would they have been in the aircraft's original paint? What that might have been.

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well office was going to be called done. I took some photos and after seeing them on the lap top, I can see I am a long way from done. Serious need of a clean up/touch up.

Back later.

Ian M

M

mobear

dont you just hate digital cameras sometimes,although it does highlight bits that need repairing or touched up lol

mobear

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
yea! Super glue!

Back again. Did a bit of spring cleaning, got the fuselage glued up and the main wing on. I only had to remove the tub and sand the bottom down a bit to get the wing to fit! Now it is so thin its see through but no holes so that was OK. Although I used CA I have taped the wing and will leave it until later before filling sanding and other wise getting it to look right. I hate CA but Araldite is just to messy. Well when I use it it is! lol.

Any way here are a couple of pictures of the office and the home made QS harness... well its a harness. The lid is going to be shut so it will do for me.

View attachment 42904 View attachment 42905 View attachment 42906 View attachment 42907

The panel detail was actually quite good. It was just very hard to see before it got paint on it. Cutting all those tiny bits that detail the side walls free from the casting block was a nail biter. Didn't loose any this time!!! :smiling:

Ian M

View attachment 46187

View attachment 46188

View attachment 46189

View attachment 46190

11 office.jpg

12 office chair.jpg

13 Panel.jpg

14 left.jpg

First Name
Aaron
Great job on the office Ian Fantastic. Your doing this kit justice.

Like Roman, Im waiting for more like a fat kid in a candy shop.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hmm, thanks for the encouragement.

Spent and Hour cutting out the vac-formed canopies. Seam like I will be posing this with an open cock-pit after all. The three parts of the canopy where just that, three parts, so a bit daft at stick them together. I tried a couple of pictures of these parts, bit to be honest they are so thin and clear, you could not see much in the photos! :surprised: I will try with a few different back grounds later.

One thing I just though of, it might of been better to mask them BEFORE I cut them out!!!

Question time. Two options for the wheels. Three or four spoke rims? If you are reading Edgar, I would like to hear your opinion before I do to much more to them.

Got most of the small parts; U/C doors, Exhaust stack ect, primed. While I had some primer in the AB I blew some primer over the fuselage seams, which I thought looked fine. WRONG! I can see I have some micro cracks that need sorting. I can still see the join now so if I put silver down on top of it it will look nasty.

Ian M

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
Question time. Two options for the wheels. Three or four spoke rims? If you are reading Edgar, I would like to hear your opinion before I do to much more to them.
Four-spoke before August 1946, and the three-spoke thereafter (though they were really meant for the heavier 22/24, so who's to say you got it wrong?)

Edgar