Planet Models 1/48 scale Spitfire Mk21.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Hi Edgar I found an photo of the actual aircraft I could just make out that the wheels had four-spoke wheels so we are good there.

Also I read that the D on the door and on the opposite side was 15" against the 18" you wrote in the paint description, I am guessing one of them is a typo. My question is which one. Is it 15 or 18. 18 seams the more logical given standard sizes for letters in the RAF.

The photo also cleared up another question, Where the guns fitted. The reply being yes. You can see the muzzles projecting from the cowls View attachment 43075

Now I only have one problem to resolve. The contra prop. I have found and bought one but its a Rotol prop where as I need a de havilland!!! Oh well at least I have the spinner. I hope to be able to re shape the blades but am a bit bothered about naffing them up!!!

View attachment 43085 View attachment 43086

Here is where we are at at the moment.

View attachment 43083 View attachment 43082 View attachment 43081 View attachment 43084

Nice detail in the Exhausts. The wheels and tyres are rather nicely done as well as the main U/C doors.

View attachment 43080 View attachment 43079 View attachment 43078 View attachment 43077 View attachment 43076

Overall the panel detail is nice and fine and a whole lot better than most injection moulded kits. To save you asking, the nose is primed black as it will be a polished metal finish where as the rest is 'just silver paint'. Just need to give it a rub over with a bit of polishing cloth then I can think about painting it....:confused:

Ian M

View attachment 46340

View attachment 46341

View attachment 46342

View attachment 46343

View attachment 46344

View attachment 46345

View attachment 46346

View attachment 46347

View attachment 46348

View attachment 46349

View attachment 46350

View attachment 46351

15 Found it!.jpg

16 primed.jpg

17 otherside.jpg

18 one big nose.jpg

19 bottom.jpg

20 bottom.jpg

21 wheels.jpg

22 nice tyres.jpg

23 exhaust stacks.jpg

24 main doors.jpg

24 wrong.jpg

25 still wrong.jpg

T

treyzx10r

Ian,looking great so far.Thats a poser on the props but I'm sure you'll sort it out. I'm getting motivated to try a resin kit now seeing this!

D

dubster72

That does look a very detailed kit Ian, and it's coming together really well.

Cheers

Patrick

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Thanks Guy!

It would seam that the person that packed this kit had other things on their mind. Like WEEKEND!!!!

I have just discovered that the to tail wheel doors are also missing. I have sent them yet another e-mail. I hope they are as quick in sending the doors as they where the control stick. (which came the day after I had nicked one from a Tamiya spitfire jet to be built!!!).

Not a disaster as these can be fitted right at the end of the build but a pain any way...

Well moan over what's been done. Well I got the main U/C door trims fitted, after a bit of trimming. and the legs are assembled, just need primer and paint. maybe a break line....Hmm.

Oil coolers are now on and primed, so I am racing towards some paint.

Had a go at a spare Rotol prop blade to see if it can be made into a De Havilland one...... I think I will pass on that. For the moment.

Time for a cuppa!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Well I been playing with paint the last couple of days. Good or bad? time will tell.

I Have chosen to go with the Rotol propeller as the de Havilland is just proving to be non existent. I will try to fix it so that should on turn up I can switch them out.

I'll post a picture tomorrow. Right now its hardening and I am not going near it!

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Sneak Preview

Well I have given it a coat of gloss clear to try getting it looking better.

View attachment 43423 View attachment 43424

The top and side motor covers and the petrol tank top panel have gotten Alclad II Polished Aluminium over gloss black, as has the front part of the intake under the nose. The rest has just had Alclad II Dark Aluminium over grey primer. Works quite well as Speed silver, which was by all accounts an Aluminium coloured lacquer. Might look better after a few more coats of clear gloss.

What ya think?

A-Ha! I got reply from them about the tail wheel doors missing from the kit. The short version: They will send them, but would like me to pay the cost of postage....or buy some thing else and they will put them in free of charge. Which would you prefer?

My reply was simple: I would prefer if all the parts where in box in the first place, as I thought at the price they charge for the kits is high enough to start with.

Bet it will be a long time before I see my tail doors....

Ian M

View attachment 46680

View attachment 46681

26 sneak preview.jpg

27 sneak preview.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looking really nice Ian. The Alclad makes a big difference. Shame about the Tail wheel doors as you say they should have been there in the first place so it's a bit of a cheek to expect you to pay the postage.

Vaughan

D

dubster72

I've never used alclad before, so seeing the difference the gloss black undercoat makes is very interesting. I quite like the contrast between the shades.

Cheers

Patrick

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
All looking very nice Ian. As a recent convert to Alclad, I'm looking for something to use it to its full potential, which I tought would be some 50's jet type thing. But you've found a great subject here. Nice job.

Colin M...

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Its good stuff Colin, you just need to screw the air down low and go easy. Oh and forget the ingrained airbrush strokes. go at it lightly from all directions. The second you think its about there, stop and have a good look.

Now I have done my best to get this to look like paint, as the airframe was painted, but if you want a good subject to have a go at a bare metal finish, and a great iconic British jet, treat yourself to the Airfix EE Lightning in 1/48, it builds well and looks great.

Ian M

First Name
Michael
This is looking really great Ian, I've never used Alclad but have real nice Avro Anson in the stash which has an aluminium under belly so I've been watching this with interest, I'm plucking up the courage for it. If I can get mine like yours I'd be delighted.

T

treyzx10r

Ian the finish is looking sweet,the resin really makes the panel lines extra crisp looking for some reason,very nice. Shame about the tail wheel doors ,maybe some scratch ones are in order?

M

mobear

from the pics it looks awesome you have done a real good job on making it look like shiny metal,first class

mobear

E

Edgar Brooks

\ said:
Also I read that the D on the door and on the opposite side was 15" against the 18" you wrote in the paint description
Sorry, missed this complete page, when I came to the site; I've checked, and it was 15", finger trouble again, sorry about that.

Edgar

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
No problem Edgar, I am the inventor of typo errors. Some times its a wonder that I can even hit the keyboard, let alone the little buttons with letters on :smiling:

If I can get my fingers working I might just have a bash at the red stripes tonight......

Ian M

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Quick up-date:

The decals are on. I think I will exercise artistic licence and say that the stencils were not painted on after the air race paint job, going on the assumption that it would soon be painted in camouflage again.

The gloss varnish has dried.

All I need now is the sun to come out so I can take a few photos of the finished build.

Ian M

weatherman says no sun the rest of the week. So I just made do with cloudy overcast with a flash!!

Pictures in the Finished section any time soon.

Ian M