Please help !!

W

wtsda

Hi All,

I am afraid I know very little about air brushes and compressors, my husband has just re-ignited his passion for model making and is currently working on some WW2 aircraft kits he has bought.

I am desperately searching for ideas/ help as I am thinking of trying to buy him an air compressor kit for Xmas as a surprise.

I have seen this kit for sale on the internet , it is retailing for around $175 Nz dollars which is around 85 pounds. I probably can't afford to go much more above this but was hoping someone could have a look at the specs and advise me if i was wasting my money or if this was a good starter model.

Any ideas/ sugestions would be greatly appreciated.

AS18-2 AMPRO AIR BRUSH COMPRESSOR 2010 Model RRP$ 399

and AIR BRUSH SET

THIS IS BRAND NEW MADE BY AMPRO (American Professional) TOOLS

New Model now has auto stop, and bigger motor and more air flow!!

A quality diaphragm air

compressor, with a high

output designed for airbrush

spraying.

Very quiet running, compact

and lightweight.

Complete with Filter

set up for a constant flow of dry

air. And Reg

• Double cylinder, high air flow,

• Oil free, piston type, no air polluted

• Power: 1/6HP

• Air Flow: 20-23L/min

• With pressure gauge and air filter

• Auto stop, start at 43PSI/3bar, stop at 57PSI/4bar

• Special pressure is adjustable (REG)

• Connect with 1/8"BSP

• Dimension: 25.5*13.5*20.5cm

• Weight: 3.9kg

Complete with Air hose and Air brush twin Holder

240 volt

THESE ARE A GREAT COMPRESSOR< ONLY JUST BACK IN STOCK!!!!!!

Trade Quality

Light and Compact

Now with Airbrush Set

AIR BRUSH SET

* Durable Double action trigger

* Versatility produces the ability to paint fine lines for pinstripping, graphics, detailing, modeling and more

* Fluid delivery type: Gravity

*15-50psi

Cup 20cc and 40cc

0.3 Nozzle size

Last edited:
B

Bunkerbarge

Hi and welcome to the forum. I'm afraid I can't see any sign of a reservoir in the specs and I would always recommend that you go for one with an air reservoir. The trouble is that as you hold thebrush trigger down for ay length of time the pressure starts to fall off so you and up with quite varying pressures as you use the airbrush. A reservoir sorts this out and has a reserve of compressed air that will ensure a consistent pressure no matter how long the trigger is held for.

I would look for the cheapest unit with a reservoir, fitted with a pressure regulating valve and a drier. Obviously units with a reservoir are more expensive but there is no point in buying something that he is quickly going to be frustrated with.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi, Richard is correct that a resevoir is desireable. I don't know this compressor but looking at the cut in/cut off pressures I suspect that it does infact have some kind of resevoir. It does tout itself as providing a constant flow.

I will try to give a definite answer this evening,but it sounds like a decent bit of kit.

Cheers

Steve

Quicker than that! This one doesn't have a resevoir (tank) though this same compressor is sold bolted to a tank with another code.

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wtsda

Hi,

Thanks for the advice in the end I went with one with a tank .. as follows

2hp Direct Drive Sinopower Air Compressor

2hp 230 Volt motor

100 PSI Max Pressure

Pump Displacement: 120 L/Min (4.24 CFM)

24 Litre Tank

2 Air Outlets

Pressure Gauge

Hopefully this will work out OK I am sure my husband will fill you all in on how it goes .

L

Lady_Phoenix

This is quite exciting.

Im assuming wtsda is a made up account just for the purpose of finding out this info and also to keep her identity a secret, and thus keeping the present a surprise. I also assume that the husband is a current forum user.

This means that round about christmas someone is going to be very happy, and the best thing is that we all know what he is getting, we just dont know who "he" is.

Wow, this is great stuff :smiling3:

W

wtsda

Hi all, This is Chris, using the account that my wife set up back in November.

I'm not actually a current forum member, but I want to thank you all for your advice to her on purchasing a compressor for use with an airbrush. Father Christmas did indeed deliver me a compressor, regulator, water trap & airbrush, and I'm looking forward to using it for airbrushing on the next model I build.

I practiced using it to shoot some ink first, and have used it on the Tamiya 1/48 Mk1 Spitfire that I'm currently building. This is the 2nd model that I've made since I was a teenager, twenty-odd years ago, and is brush painted. I had weathered it with pastels & oils, and using the airbrush I was able to give it a clear coat. I wouldn't have been able to use a brush to go clear coat over pastel dust, so the setup has already proved it's usefulness.

Once I've finished this, I have a couple of dirt cheap Italeri kits to practise on, so we'll see how we go!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hi Chris,good to see that your pressie has already been put to good use. That's a nice Spitfire there,I don't think you'll have much trouble getting to grips with your airbrush!

Cheers

Steve