Posting before introductions

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
How very ill-mannered of me not to say hello, when I've already posted pictures - but then I'm really only here to show off...
After being asked by a member here if I had my own website - blame him for leading me here

Modelling subjects:
Air - Regia Aeronautica (Italy's RAF, 1922-1943), RAF 'silver wings', Soviet aviation - mostly 1/72, but i have 1/32 Lanc on the go for 5-6 years (Yes, NOT the HK one - and mostly not plastic either)
Land - Early WW2, pre-Barbarossa - being a war and RP gamer I've downsized to 28mm - half the price of 1/35 and you can get three times the vehicles in the same space
Sea - Pre-Dreadnoughts, 'cos some of them are so REAL steampunk - and rigging 1/700 ships has it's own levels of masochism
Figures - Dark Ages, Samurai, Napoleonics, 'ooh, that looks rather good
And then, of course, there's the mecha and anime stuff...
I have too many kits, that I will never finish. But I WANT to make them. Too many I have started and may never get back to. Not enough time even to sell off the stash

First kit ever built - Airfix 1/72 Fw189
Last kit I finished - Chorszy 1/72 Fiat Cr.20
Kit I would buy new with absolutely no hesitation, should one ever be released - 1/32 Savoia S.79

And a good evening to you all

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Welcome Chris, 28mm.... is that the equivalent to 1/56 or is it smaller? I model in 1/87....I think it's somewhere between 15 and 18mm if I remember correctly. would love to see some of your small scale stuff posted. Cheers, Rick H.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Why thank you
Already put a couple of items in the Completed Armour area
And then things kind of got away from me...

As things stand, 1/56 is kind of a 'nominal' rather than 'actual', and was kind of coined about the time Italeri started producing 'skirmish' scale stuff - 28mm used to be 25mm, then figures got 'heroic' proportions - or, rather 'chunky'
Depending on preference, 28mm can run from 1/48 to 1/60 - and depends on the manufacturer - I've got six different A13 cruiser tanks from three different manufacturers which are all exactly the same size, while two of those makers did Morris 15cwt trucks which are proportionally as different as a 1/72 to a 1/76
As I understand the old equivalents, 15mm is roughly 1/100, 20mm is 1/72, so you're right for 1/87 - now there's a sensible scale - Roco Minitanks and Kibri buildings! Am I showing my age?

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Actually Not at all, You are in the ballpark if you like small scale as much as I do.....................you can't go wrong with 1/87 scale.. Rick H.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Chris
Welcome aboard. Nice to see someone else doing 28mm on here :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
As I understand the old equivalents, 15mm is roughly 1/100, 20mm is 1/72
20 mm is generally thought of as 1:76, I think, and 25 mm as 1:72 (before GW et al. started making figures to “heroic” proportions and those ended up being called 28 mm).

And that leaves me wondering if the “measured to eye height” goes for 20 mm but not 25 mm, because 20 mm × 76 = 152 cm while 25 mm × 72 = 180 cm. The latter is a good height for an average man, the former is short even for the majority of women when measured to the top of the head, but reasonable eye height for a short man.

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Confusion is further compounded that not all manufacturers "measure to eye".......28mm is a nominal height not a scale as I keep telling wargamers crying about their "28mm" tanks looking small next to their 28mm troops. While ignoring the fact that they're playing re-enforced company sized games on a table smaller than 2 "28mm scale" football pitches......

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Welcome Steve - as you have found, there's a diverse range of scales & subjects here - much more entertaining than other single subject forums!
Dave

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
Oh, now I've gone and done it, starting the vexed question of 'Nmm is 1/x scale' - and another barrell of monkeys opens...

Y'know I do wonder where that 'foot-to-eye' thing came from, as I don't think I ever heard it before 25mm became 28
It used to be that 'N'mm was the height of a figure was foot to top of the head, like my 90mm figures aren't, what is it now 1/16th?
No, she's 90mm tall
I blame teh intrawebs!

And also in this situation I quote BMO from Adventure Time show
"Oh, I don't care"
(so long as I get the kits I want - and I can fit more in the same place than one 1/35)

Happily though, you guys do regard 28mm models as MODELS not just 'stay over there you strange wargamer-type' as you can find elsewhere
I feel welcome already
This will not end well...

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Happily though, you guys do regard 28mm models as MODELS not just 'stay over there you strange wargamer-type' as you can find elsewhere
I feel welcome already
This will not end well...
I'm also one of those strange Wargamer types, and the lines are getting more blurred between the two hobbies, though I recently upset GreenStuffWorld by informing them none of their products are new, just expensive repacks of other products, which are ready made examples of stuff we used to make ourselves.....
Currently doing both sides for Quatre Bras in 28mm.....I should be able to refight the battle when I retire.....

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
There are more of us on here than you think......though I’m a modeller first and a gamer second....basically I just enjoy painting toy soldiers ;)

Reactions: JR

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
....... and it`s a warm welcome ,(again!!),from me too Chris!
Glad to see that you acted upon my suggestion,hope you hang around for a while:thumb2: .

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Welcome Chris.
Enjoy your time with us.

I note the S-79 Sparviero on your 'Wanted list'. I built a 1/72 one on here recently. If you ever go to 'aircraft completed', it's in there.

Steve-the-Duck

SMF Supporter
First Name
Chris
If you like StuG's you are in;)
Bob
Closest I've ever got to anything StuG-alike is the old Matchbox Jagdpanzer Lang L/70 - that was in the days I built every Matchbox vehicle as it was released, the Purple range that is - never did get any of the Orange range - always wanted to. Oh, wait, I think my Barbarossa force had a grey StuG III. Or two

I note the S-79 Sparviero on your 'Wanted list'. I built a 1/72 one on here recently. If you ever go to 'aircraft completed', it's in there.
Saw that first day, but see, NOW you've gone and done it as that's the scheme I always wanted to do for my seria I S-79
And my Corsa (racer) conversion sits in my display cabinet looking at me reprovingly to correct the dihedral, after 10 years...