Preshading - have I obscured it enough??

M

munkster

First attempt at pre-shading here - pretty nerve-wracking after investing the time in this 1978 vintage 1/48 Tamiya F-15 but seems to have worked out not too disastrously.

My question is now - do people think I've gone over the pre-shading to enough of an extent or are they too obvious? Bear in mind I am going to be going over the majority of the wing area with a darker grey (that's the plan anyway!!) so that'll ease it a bit too...

View attachment 26190View attachment 26189View attachment 26192

Any comments more than welcome :smiling: go easy on me though this is only my third attempt at a model since returning to the hobby (the first two are, erm, "on hold", shall we say...)

ps - this is what it looked like before painting... the filenames say it all really...

View attachment 26200View attachment 26198View attachment 26199

View attachment 32217

View attachment 32218

View attachment 32220

View attachment 32226

View attachment 32227

View attachment 32228

preshaded3.jpg

preshaded2.jpg

preshaded1.jpg

whathaveidone1.jpg

whathaveidone2.jpg

whathaveidone3.jpg

Last edited:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi munkster, the shading looks perfect to me, well done. Its something i have never been able to pull off, always completely covering it up!! So i usually post shade!! Great work , cant wait to see it finished, cheers tony

R

Richy C

I`m no expert but it looks pretty good to me , nice work

Richy

M

munkster

Shucks, cheers guys, much appreciated - it's felt like a real case of "All the gear, no idea" these last few weeks/months so it's nice to finally feel like it's going in the right direction!!!

B

Bunkerbarge

I think you've got it just right. If it was a lighter grey I would have toned it down a bit but, as you quite rightly have identified, the darker grey top coat can handle a bit more pre shading.

All credit to you, I've not been brave enought o try it yet!

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I think pre-shading is really more art than science. I also think that you've pulled it off rather well,the actual shading doesn't have to be too exact. Whether you've obscured it enough or too much is an artistic decision as I doubt you can compare the effect of the technique to a photographic reference,except of another model. I'd say if it looks good to you then good it is.

Cheers

Steve

T

travellingman49

That looks great to me,i tried it on a 1/48 spitfire a couple of weeks ago and then put the paint on to thick and you cant see any shading at all now.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
\ said:
That looks great to me,i tried it on a 1/48 spitfire a couple of weeks ago and then put the paint on to thick and you cant see any shading at all now.
Easily done! Sometimes the pre-shade will only disappear as the top coat dries. I mostly post shade,much more controllable.

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster

In progress - preshaded Eagle...

Slowly getting there...

View attachment 26670View attachment 26671View attachment 26672

The rectangular thin black line decals on the underside of the fuel tanks were "interesting"...

Learned a lot of lessons on this (essentially my first concerted effort at a build since returning to the hobby) - you can see my nice "rough" finish in one of these pics where I was too far away with the Halfrauds primer... Lesson #364 learned...

View attachment 32583

View attachment 32584

View attachment 32585

decals2.jpg

decals1.jpg

decals3.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
That looks good to me,your shading has certainly worked. Every model is a learning experience and that one is a really good effort,even more so as a "first one back". Don't forget to show us the finished item

Cheers

Steve

M

munkster