Prototypes worth a try !!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Well this one certainly is very different from the elegant looking aircraft that we have been discussing recently suitable for modelling,judge for yourself from the picture the Americans do come up with some novelty flying machines,I think this is an Arup design but cannot be sure,it certainly looks low on the ground,if you look carefully the aircraft is basically slab sided so no problems there,the wing section is very deep in fact it looks almost like a model anyway.

I will try and find out more about this unique subject.

Dont forget that beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.

View attachment 7091

/monthly_2004_10/ARUP.JPG.54bdac7641c8f1b1e751a8237801a6af.JPG

View attachment 11736

View attachment 12386

ARUP.JPG

B

Bluewavestudios

Barry,

Just had a look at this one, Does this one follow Ekranoplan principles...?, it certainly looks like it may do.....Wing in ground effect etc.

Regards.......Mark

D

duncan

No, it is capable of flight well out of ground effect. It tries to get the best of the slow speed handling of a delta and the benefits of a low aspect ratio wing (length to width). Check out the more modern "Facet" design on this site http://users.skynet.be/nestofdragons Very similar to stealth fighter. Easier (and compact) construction must be a consideration too. There are some weird and wonderful aircraft on that site.:shoot: The r/c model "Firebird"(not the RTF toy) was designed as an Ekranoplan but flies just like a normal model at all altitudes.

Last edited:
B

Bluewavestudios

Thanks Duncan

Will have a look at that site, I have always been interested in the weird and Bizarre aircraft. As for the Ekranoplans, I am aware of some that do indeed fly well out of ground effect as per normal aircraft and then can come back into it....That one above looks to be able to use the same principles too, Given how low it is to the ground and prop placement etc.

Regards........Mark.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Thanks DuncanWill have a look at that site, I have always been interested in the weird and Bizarre aircraft. As for the Ekranoplans, I am aware of some that do indeed fly well out of ground effect as per normal aircraft and then can come back into it....That one above looks to be able to use the same principles too, Given how low it is to the ground and prop placement etc.

Regards........Mark.
*** You could be right about that Mark ? despite enquiries I have not yet come up with a name to file her under,the nearest is an 'Arup' should does seem a bit low on the ground for comfort.

Speaking of Ekranoplans have you seen that enormous craft the Russians built for patrols ? Revell have done a kit for this one and it sure looks impressive.

Any more Ekranoplan pictures anone ? fascinating model subjects.

B

Bluewavestudios

Thanks Barry,

That's what made me ask as I have been fascinated by Ekranoplans since seeing Graham Taylors models in the Model Boat Mags and on his website.

I have The Revell kit for the Orljonok A-90 and have quite a few pics of it tucked away. I drew up plans for an R/C Version last year but have not got round to even starting it yet.....The length is 9.5 feet long so it is BIG...!!!

Regards.......Mark.

Last edited: