Prototypes worth modelling-The Cessna 336 Skymaster.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Now here is a subject that gets around the usual asymetric problems associated with twin engined designs,the Cessna 336 Skymaster was a brave attempt by the Cessna company to get around the twin engined rating and the expense of getting same.

With the 336 they produced a unique twin layout used on the French Monet Jupiter,one engine in the front with a pusher at the rear,if one engine should fail then there was sufficent power to fly on one engine alone with no pull to one side as is normal with conventional twins.

As a model subject this makes for an exciting project and the models that I have seen certainly look impressive both on the ground and in the air,with the advent of modern starters there should be no problems in starting the engine with this layout.

There have been a few kits marketed in the past but I dont think these are current ? you would need to search them out,otherwise any three view drawing would suffice to scale up & make up a flying model for the Skymaster.

Dont forget that the military used them as forward control aircraft in Vietnam so there are some good colour schemes available to use.

View attachment 7087

/monthly_2004_10/N456TL.jpg.2f86b1fee1d466639ea8101ab5d0a69b.jpg

View attachment 11732

View attachment 12382

N456TL.jpg

B

Bluewavestudios

I believe there is one of these in the Complete-a pac range of plans as now handled by Traplet publications and in a nice size too.

A superb plane, Anyone who has seen the film BAT21 (with Danny Glover as the Pilot and Gene Hackman as the Vietnam Vet on the ground) will remember this plane very well.

Regards........Mark

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Yes remember those scenes now,talk about low flying shots,they used a lot of these aircraft suitably rocket equipped in Nam,agile and reliable but I understand the fuel system is quite complex,they have quite a following.

G

gun man

Hello I want to build the 336 cessna can enione help me with somme plans??? PLEASE!!!

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hello I want to build the 336 cessna can enione help me with somme plans??? PLEASE!!!
*** See message #2 here Gunman.

A

artic-corsair

mantua models do a kit for two 45 size motors,( cessna 02a)www.mantuamodel.co.uk , i built one about 6 years ago, before i flew it under power i took it to my local hill ( white horse hill , near lambourn downs), i left the front engine in ( a super tiger 61) to balance the plane , wind wind was blowing from the NW , at about 20 mph , it carried it to the top, when i got to the top a chap that i had meet before came rushingover and asked had i flown it yet , no i replyed, it's it's first time out, i'll give it a throw if you like ,he said , ok , said i , after checking every thing was working ok i and 4 fags later he ran down the hill and away she went looking like she had done this a 100 times before, after cruising around for a while i landed her with out a hitch, once the shacks had stopped i wanted to have another go, so just as i was getting ready the chap said , i've got a hand held G.P.S here put that in and we can see how high and far it can go, so at the end of the second flight which was better than the first one i landed and we read the display, at one point in my circuits i had done a power dive and it was recorded at 71 mph, the rest of the circuits were on average 21 mph , i had coverd a distance of around 4 miles, two weeks later i fitted the other engine and went to my local flying site with my father, after some setting up with the motors we decided to give it ago, the take was so smooth and scale like that she could almost be mistaken for the real thing, any way half way round the first circuit the tail end sarted to flutter, so i backed off the throttles from half to qaurter and did a slow fly past , as it flew past i could see that one of the booms had cracked, by the time i could do anything about it the plane was out off runway, so i tryed to turn her back but nothing would responed on the back end and it went over the hedge and crashed in the next field, and what a mess, the only thing that survived was the outer wing panells, the conclusion , oversized engines creating to much was over the tail plane, the parts can be bought seperatly, one day i may rebuild her, www.sussexmodelcentre.co.uk sell the kit for just under £200,it's a lot of building and it's CNC cut.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This reminded me of when I was asked to do some aerial photography for a cheap film production,the brief was to follow a BMC mini around a set course and keep the digital camera running,the task was more difficult than I ever imagined to keep the flying speed of the model in line with the car,the model that I used was an eleven foot wingspan Cessna type,the camera was lashed to the side and was quite draggy requiring a long take off run,anyway after several attempts we shot some film and then the engine quit on me requiring a rather hasty forced landing into some long grass,when we played back the film all of the detail of the grass brushing against the fuselage was captured on film,together with a somewhat abrupt engine failure which was located to dirt in the needly valve assembly,very realistic and yes the camera which was not mine survived the crash !

If you see a film called 'The Westerner' then that was me doing the flying.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Ok but i did not found it in traplets plans!!!
*** Gunman,Traplet are the people who took over the 'Complete-A-Pak' range of plans,the model is not listed in the standard range,best to give them a ring and ask to speak to the plans manager,they are very helpful people at Traplet.

D

duncan

Maybe not so easy to ring them from Romania but they have a web site. www.traplet.com Try emailing them on customerservice@traplet.com and ask for their "complete-a-pak" details/list. If you dont know Marian they publish R/C magazines. Keep trawling the web, I`m sure some of the American plans services will do the 336. Best of luck.

G

gun man

Thank you guys !!! I did send an email to traplet asking for cessna 336 they did not have-it !

A

artic-corsair

has anyone ever seen one with floats fitted, as i've just bought another one, and wonderd what it would be like to fly off water.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
has anyone ever seen one with floats fitted' date=' as i've just bought another one, and wonderd what it would be like to fly off water.[/quote']*** Never seen one on floats,but I dont see why not ? if you can fit floats on a Beech 18 or even a Dove then a Cessna 336 on floats would look good,go for it !

D

duncan

Might be some problems with spray for the rear engine. Would look and sound good though. Keep us posted,with pics of course.

A

artic-corsair

plans sent

i've sent banita (gun-man) a set of plans for the aviomodelli cessna o2a at 1/5 scale, 86" wing span, he sent me an e-mail last week to say that they had arrived and that he had started work on them that day, the guy must be superman?

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
i've sent banita (gun-man) a set of plans for the aviomodelli cessna o2a at 1/5 scale' date=' 86" wing span, he sent me an e-mail last week to say that they had arrived and that he had started work on them that day, the guy must be superman?[/quote']*** Paul that was very kind of you,typical of the comradship here on Scale-models,people like yourself are a credit to the forum.

I bet that he was thrilled to bits to receive them and his keen-ness for the type is obvious to see.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

gun man

I am not super man but I was weiting for the plans for over 12 weeks ,and i have all materials prepared for starting the plane ! If enyone knows how to build the flaps on skymaster please help me !!!!(pics drawings etc) :busted_bl :busted_bl :thinking: :thinking: :thinking: :thinking:

Last edited: