Prototypes worth modelling-The Republic Sea Bee.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
This quaint little shapely beauty always intrigues me,the Republic Sea Bee even today some 40 years after its first flight still has quite a following.

Anyway you can see why,the fuselage lines and general shape are quite unique despite being copied into aircraft such as the Italian Nardi amphibians.

As a model subject it has been tackled by the late H.J.Towner ( see the Pioneers of aeromodelling progress pieces elsewhere here) who built a free flight model of the subject,but she deserves a comeback with a plan for a new radio model to do the subject full justice.

Some aircraft were converted into twin engined aircraft as the pusher version was a trifle underpowered,as a twim engined model ( electric perhaps ?) she would also make a fine model and look unusual in the air.

The fuselage needs careful planning as the shape is fairly complex blending in nicely where the lower boom meets the fuselage.

With a ply keel and the fuselage built around this it would work.

And above all you can operate her from either runways or a stretch of water,what more could you want ?

View attachment 7078

/monthly_2004_10/57272b6bf21a7_SEABEE.jpg.b30c8dc1d11817bae339f53a250f3c00.jpg

View attachment 11723

View attachment 12373

SEA BEE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Bluewavestudios

I remember seeing one of these under construction at the RAF Valley Model Club years ago...the majority of the airframe was complete then just requiring final finishing and covering, sadly I never did see it finished or flying. I was offered exclusive membership to their club too but never got round to it.....and the runways are always free there at the weekends...!!!

Still I am not too far from there now so I may take them up on their offer yet...the runways at Valley are excellent and they get a lot of good weather there too...!!

My Cousin is a Tornado Pilot but coming back to Valley as a QFI so I have no excuse not to go really.

Regards.......Mark

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Hello Mark,I am envious of that lovely runway at R.A.F Valley,flew down there to an airshow by Dakota from here at Coventry,Snowdonia looks terrific from the air.

The model club had a stand that day with a great variety of models on show,everything from a round the pole Spitfire to a huge Islander.

On another occasion I was taking my daughter to some camping site in the area one weekend and David Cyster the chap who flew a Tiger Moth around the world landed at Valley.

I see that Llanbedr has closed its doors for good,what is going to happen to that huge place ? another housing estate no doubt,I see the government say that 6 million houses are needed within the next few years,perhaps this is why so many airfields are closing and we are loosing so many good flying areas ?