Prototypes worth modelling-The Ryan PT-22.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Ryan PT-22 whilst making an evocative WW.2 U.S.Army trainer is not without its problems to build,the Kinner radial would need careful blending with a largish fourstroke to compensate for that frontal area drag,the undercarriage would need careful study to reproduce its swinging arm configuration,and the rigging which is streamlined would have to be somehow reproduced,and yet despite these problems in building,ever since I was lucky enough to fly in a friends example the thought of building one has been at the back of my mind.

There are a few kits for the inline Menasco engined version which could be converted to incorporate the radial engine which has far more character,to tackle the fuselage planking would be best to reproduce the stressed alloy skin of the original,all in all a challenge for the model maker.

I am convinced that once the obvious obstacles are overcome she would make a good model flyer that would stand out at any flying field.

View attachment 7073

/monthly_2004_10/PT22.jpg.507e9481525b0a51140c391a7ef8ba4e.jpg

View attachment 11718

View attachment 12368

PT22.jpg

R

Richard Crapp

Pt 22

The Ryan PT-22 whilst making an evocative WW.2 U.S.Army trainer is not without its problems to build,the Kinner radial would I am seriosly thinking of building a PT22, Probebly 1/3 whith a big single disguised as one of the radials pots. (Laser 180)

It would be 120" @ 1/3 and would have plenty of "presence"

Curentley looking for a good three view,

The subject aircraft would have to be two cockpit, no spats, painted nose, polished metal fuselage, US trainer colours.

Fortunatley thair is plenty of choice but the Duxford and Old Warden examples do not have enough polish.

richard.crapp@homecall.co.uk

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
The Ryan PT-22 whilst making an evocative WW.2 U.S.Army trainer is not without its problems to build,the Kinner radial would I am seriosly thinking of building a PT22, Probebly 1/3 whith a big single disguised as one of the radials pots. (Laser 180)

It would be 120" @ 1/3 and would have plenty of "presence"

Curentley looking for a good three view,

The subject aircraft would have to be two cockpit, no spats, painted nose, polished metal fuselage, US trainer colours.

Fortunatley thair is plenty of choice but the Duxford and Old Warden examples do not have enough polish.

richard.crapp@homecall.co.uk
***Richard,the machine that you mention at Old Warden is owned by a good friend of mine,I have flown this aircraft and it was a real pleasure to handle,with that large draggy prop when you throttle back she just stops dead in mid-air,for the purposes of training pilots for Uncle Sam's air force she fitted the bill admirably,treat her badly and she would bite the unwary,the swinging arm undercarriage for example can catch you out on take off,she rides high then only when ready will lift off,it has caught a few pilots out.

I dont know of any example with a painted cowl,regarding the polished aluminium this is dis-couraged by the CAA these days as it removs the outer shim of metal and makes the monocoque structure weak.

R

Richard Crapp

I have now had a session at Old Warden, 001 is hangered next to 826 and will make the perfect subject. It has a painted cowl in a aloy colour, a polished rear fuselage, red spiner. The wing is freshley painted and thay do detatch outbord of the undercaridge. Perfect!

At the size i fancy, 3.5 ,the bigest that will fit in the car, the engin doze not poke out enough! for a change. No scoopes for internal cooling and definatly no outlets. Working on that one. I need a taller engine.

Got heaps of good drawings though.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard the machine that you have been studying at Old Warden is indeed the prototype of the Ryan PT-22 Recruit which spent a while in France as F-AZEV,this machine had a lucky escape a few years back when a chunk of the wing was removed in a take off accident,testimony to the strength of the structure,anyway it is good to see her brushing shoulders with Peter Holloway's pride and joy,best of luck with your project and dont forget to let us see some progress pictures here on Scale-models.

R

Richard Crapp

when a chunk of the wing was removed in a take off accident,testimony to the strength of the structure,anyway

-------------------------

Ahhhhh, that is why the wing looks freshley painted!

The fuselage could do with a re-polish, you can still see where the French registration letters have bene pealed off.

001 is Cut out of Vynal, nobody will belive that when it goes on the model.

the rest of the external stenciling is chiped and faded, again perfect for model.

I will try and atatch a picture.........might be......

NOP. Wish some one would simplifie file atachment, My picturs are in a local folder not...... never mind. far to complicated.

Has anyone noticed the lack of picturs on this Scale UK compered to rivals.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard did you notice a bit of panel beating on the fuselage of the other Ryan PT-22 ? well there is a bit of a story on this,when it was in the States the owner was invited to a wedding and decided to fly his aircraft into a field alongside the church,he then decided to show off a bit and flew the Ryan low level between some trees,he struck one sideways on and finished up in the tree ! the former owner had a photograph of the scenerio.The aircraft was shipped to the UK where a vintage aircraft restoration company fully restored her,the flying and landing wires are all new and the Kinner was zero houred,some small compromises were made regarding radio etc.It is interesting to compare the two machines and staggering that the prototype should have escaped a museum in the States.

Regarding the photographs the best way is to place the pictures onto your homepage or in a photo dump bucket,then all you have to do is to right click and paste the URL straight into your message here on the advanced feature,John has done a tutorial elsewhere on how to go about placing photographs,once you have done one it is easy peasy.

The Ryan PT-22 is a straightforward machine to fly if you do not take any liberties with her,you just need to watch that cantilever undercarriage on take off as she rides high and sits there for a bit until she really is flying,the temptation is to lift off too soon as happened with 001.Your model probably will not suffer this dilemma unless that is you make a fully cantilever affair ! you have a few problems to sort out,how will you make those streamlined rigging wires ? just curious.

R

Richard Crapp

Have you got the name of the company that restored 824, then i can get the paint numbers. OR even the company that repaired the wing on 001.

The flying wires are easy as long as you do not mind the £££££££

http://bredavik.se/flyingwire/

have a look. I have them on the Swordfish and Pete McD has them on the Snipe.

It is suprizing that 001 is not US owened and also that it is so identical to later aircraft.

The bigest problem will be engin fit, at the mid point between the cylinders the real one is 29" At 3.5 that means 4.1" C/L to cowl surface, not enough for a glow engine to poke out. A dummy Kinere head could go on top and act as a heat sink maybe:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
*** Richard,I will find out for you and get back here,see below-

Have you got the name of the company that restored 824, then i can get the paint numbers. OR even the company that repaired the wing on 001.The flying wires are easy as long as you do not mind the £££££££

http://bredavik.se/flyingwire/

have a look. I have them on the Swordfish and Pete McD has them on the Snipe.

*** Richard I will find out for you shortly and get back here with the details.

001 has a new lady owner at Old Warden,she had previously been at Breighton,the two aircraft make a superb duo display team but as the new owner has no display dispensation she gets someone more experienced to do that type of flying.If you know anyone who wants a broken PT-22 to repair then I know of one available,whoever takes it on will need to be good at aircraft metalwork.

It is suprizing that 001 is not US owened and also that it is so identical to later aircraft.

The bigest problem will be engin fit, at the mid point between the cylinders the real one is 29" At 3.5 that means 4.1" C/L to cowl surface, not enough for a glow engine to poke out. A dummy Kinere head could go on top and act as a heat sink maybe:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
Richard can you please PM me with your address details ? I am going to send you a piece of wing fabric from the actual aircraft when it arrives,from this you will be able to match the paint exactly.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
For anyone contemplating a quarter scale Ryan PT-22, then John Mackie in Scotland,does a plan and undercarriage set.

John Mackie,34 Graham Court,Blackburn,West Lothian,EH47 7BT.

R

Richard Crapp

Wish i had known that, I just recived from USA Robert Switzer's Drawings.

I had known of the quolity of Switzers work from DH82 Rapide days but these realy are outstanding. 5 sheets, etch 14' long! Evrey detail explained often in a simple and a super scale way.

Only thing is it is 1/4 and i want to make it 3.5, about 50' of enlarging to be done.

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
John Mackie is the UK agent for his plans,pity about that scale a lot of extra draughting for you.

The fabric swatch from the full sized machine is in the post for you,hope that you will find it useful.

Notice that the fabric is Ceconite and not linen,no doubt for longevity as Irish linen only lasts about 15 years if you are lucky and the aircraft is stored well.

R

Richard Crapp

Thanks for the sample recived yesterday, Things are coming together nicely.

Think i am going to use Mick Reeves Pro-Skin for a fuselage, should speed things up.

Laser 180 cooling: cured. Undercaridge:one the way.