Push into Russia 1/35

saguy

A true Leeds Utd fan ............
SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
hi there andy - do u not post any pics of your work in the gallery here - i would be very interested to see more of your work ....kind regards lindsey

A

Andy

Hi Lindsey, i havent added anything to the gallery - i will look into it now!

Cheers,

Andy

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
\ said:
Hi Lindsey, i havent added anything to the gallery - i will look into it now!Cheers,

Andy
looking forward to see'ing them .... tx very much

A

Andy

\ said:
looking forward to see'ing them .... tx very much
No problem - i have added the first of the 7's and the Flak 88 just now - gaffer is giving me the evil eye so will upload more when hes off!

Cheers,

Andy

A

Andy

Hello all, a quick update to where the dio currently stands!

Firstly, the kingpost bridge i got from Bastion...that was a super heavy load bridge as advertised on the net. After building it i wasn't to impressed as one, the tanks will not pass over it and two the halftracks are very tight. So..the dio had to change slightly, and i went with the armour fording the river while what can pass over the bridge will do so.

I suppose bridges back in 1940's rural Russia weren't built in mind for MBT's etc to be crossing them, and i have seen photos of German armour crossing bridges with no room for error, so not too unbelievable.

Anyway, a few photos that can show the current arrangement are attached, very rough and shaped once with a bread knife, so very basic! The rough harsh lines will be smoothed away in the next week with paper-mache etc to allow the whole thing to flow better.

As always, comments appreciated!

View attachment 49565View attachment 49566View attachment 49567

View attachment 52307

View attachment 52308

View attachment 52309

Dio 1.jpg

Dio 2.jpg

Dio 3.jpg

P

Polux

Wow!! Looking good so far!! And big!!

Good luck! I will be looking with interest!

Cheers.

A

Andy

Thanks Polux, the real work is about to begin.

To the bottom left of the board (or the top left there will be the Flak shelter which will require a wee bit of building up of the base to create a small elevation.

Then after that, the smoothing and filler.

With the fording i have given myself one of the most difficult tasks i think i could have - tanks moving through the water, with three tanks making up the three phases of the crossing: 1) A tank about to enter the river 2) A tank in the river 3) a tank having exited the river.

All three will require variants of weathering at either end of the extreme, with Tank 1 heavily soiled and Tank 3 having being cleaned up by the crossing.

C

CDW

Looking good so far Andy, like the layout idea.

I thought i leant towards the larger dio but this kicks me into touch :smiling3: :smiling3:

you could consider a technique i use a lot with polystyrene to shape it (and give it a rocky effect (if needed)). this is the use of a mini butane gas soldering torch (used with both the heated tip and the burner tip) to carefully melt the poly into the desired shape.

the finished effect is random and only needs a quick paint and wash to make it look realistic.

Used it on my "M10 achilles" diorama if you have a search (I don't like hijacking threads with links :smiling3: )

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
This is very ambitious Andy but you've made a cracking start! Looking forward to seeing this one develop.

Gern

PS If you think the missus was mad about the sheer size of this thing, you'd best get all that polystyrene cleaned up before she sees it! She'll go absolutely ballistic! :lol

A

Andy

\ said:
Looking good so far Andy, like the layout idea.I thought i leant towards the larger dio but this kicks me into touch :smiling3: :smiling3:

you could consider a technique i use a lot with polystyrene to shape it (and give it a rocky effect (if needed)). this is the use of a mini butane gas soldering torch (used with both the heated tip and the burner tip) to carefully melt the poly into the desired shape.

the finished effect is random and only needs a quick paint and wash to make it look realistic.

Used it on my "M10 achilles" diorama if you have a search (I don't like hijacking threads with links :smiling3: )
Thanks Colin, i will have a look at your dio for some inspiration!

I remember doing something similar with the polystyrene when i had Warhmmer 40K stuff on the go.

A

Andy

Thanks Dave, it is the first large scale diorama i have built so i thought i would really just go for it!

Lol, she has already gone intercontinental mate, i dragged a load of polystyrene back into the house with me!

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
This is going to be a nice dio, i'm sat here rubbing my hands waiting for the update lol.

Have fun, John

A

Andy

A quick update (As such) while i can use the Work Bandwidth to upload a photo!

This is the plan for one corner of the diorama, a quick little backstory:

Two SDKF7's are carrying reinforcements for the front. On approaching the bridge and seeing it occupied the lead 7 makes to pull up on the side of the road, not realising that the soft verge leading up to the bridge wont take the weight. Sliding off the verge, the drivers side wheel catches and becomes embedded in the thick Russian mud.

The Opel Blitz approaching over the bridge comes to a halt, its lightly dressed crew leave the warmth of their RandR vehicle to help their winterized comrades before heading on their well earned rest.

In the background in the local supply camp, amongst the refuelling 'Grille' and casualties of War, the men of the camp and the SPG crew make light of the situation, while the driver of the 7 gets on with the job, shovel in hand.

View attachment 50049

I hope to get the real deal pictures up over the weekend. Thanks for looking.

View attachment 52771

Plans.jpg

P

Polux

A man with a plan... I like it!!

Will be a great diorama, and you have many posibility of creating a unique scene, I think that the soil will be where the difference resides. You decide; Some mud? Probably does it snow?? Very flat and with many grass??

All the best

Polux

A

Andy

\ said:
A man with a plan... I like it!! Will be a great diorama, and you have many posibility of creating a unique scene, I think that the soil will be where the difference resides. You decide; Some mud? Probably does it snow?? Very flat and with many grass??

All the best

Polux
Thanks Polux, a plan is the order of the day with something this size, final measurement has the board at around 1200x1000 so a lot to fill.

The majority of the board will be flat, with agricultural fields forming some, the road will be a thick mud, the mud road now swampish with the Russian autumn rains, and the onset of winter.

It was my intention to have had this dio covered in a very fine snow shower, but we will see how that goes!

saguy

SMF Supporter
First Name
lindsey
Hi Andy - just following up on your project .... are u still ploughing ahead ... cheers Lindsey