RAF Phantom f4-J (UK) ZE350

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
What do you do when you have sold all you airplans because the new Tornados will be arriving, only to learn that they are sort of delayed for an unknown time.

You ring the USAF and ask if they happen to have some fighters they wish to sell.

"Hell we'll even paint them for you" was the reply on the other end of the phone.

Some time after, a batch of Phantoms rolled in and 74 squadron had some new toys to play with.

This is my interpretation of ZE350 which is based on a single photo I found on the interwhatnot.

The decals are from Xtradecal. The nose flash is the wronge colour. Yes I have writen to them and told them!

Hope you like it. Now I have two of my 74sq aircraft built!

View attachment 27630

View attachment 27631

View attachment 27632

View attachment 27633

View attachment 27634

View attachment 27635

View attachment 27636

View attachment 27637

View attachment 27638

IMG_2634.jpg

IMG_2632.jpg

IMG_2630.jpg

IMG_2628.jpg

IMG_2629.jpg

IMG_2633.jpg

IMG_2631.jpg

IMG_2635.jpg

f4j_(uk)_(t)_1990.jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Forgot to say; the kit is a Hasagawa 1/48 f4 J "Show time" All the paint is Vallejo model color range and the decals are from Xtradecal's Tiger sq. set.

Ian M

C

Caledonia

Hi Ian, very nice rendition of a classic aircraft. I've never seen a grey one in the flesh, the ones at Leuchars were usually green/grey camo. The intakes came out well, usually one of the harder areas to get right with jets. How many more Tiger Squadron have you to go? Cheers Derek

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
yes that paint colour was a bit special. When I first painted it I thought this is way to blue. (vallejo pale greyblue #70907 if you want to know!) So I gave it a dusting of white grey to bring it down a bit. That worked very nice.

The problem is that after giving it a Wash to bring up the surface detail, which is very good in this kit, everything else went down a tone or two!!! So Its just a bit to grey. I must point out that in the photos it looks just grey, but in real life it still has that odd blue green shade to it.

Its not 100% on the nose but close enough for me.

What else do I have for the 74 sq. Well I have the Lightning F6 as you know, but I want to get a few bits for that (resin and Alclad) I have a spit mk Vc tropical in the stash, might do that soon.

I will be adding to the stash as and when £ and time permits: SE5a, Spitfires mk II, XVIe, IXe, and an FGR2!! those are the aircraft covered by the decals sheet.

There was also a few other aircraft not covered in the sheet, Hawker Demon, (try find that in 1/48! or any other scale for that matter!!) They where swapped out for Gloster Gauntlets. 1942 saw them i the middle east with Hurricane IIb's. 1974 they got Meteor F3's then the F4 and F8 came along! afte that came the Hawker Hunters, F4 then F6.

1960 saw 74 get the Lightning F1 as the first operational unit. Then came the F3 and later the F6's. Here came the Phantoms, first the F4J then the FGR2.

To go from those flying rhinos to the BAE Hawks must of been a bit of a chocker!!!

So as you can see i have a bit of work in front of me.

The good news is Italeri do the Hawk in 1/48 with the 74 tigers markings! Thats an easy one!!!

I think they might of also had Avro 504s right at the birth of the squadron, but need to find more about that!

Bet your glad you asked now Derek!!

Oh the Other one I have done already was a spitfire mk I which I belive is posted on here. (Did you know that Sailor Malan was also in 74sq. However the kit I did of his personel spit AGM was not a 74 bird)

just been searching for the mk I and I cant find it!!! I will take a few piccies and nail them up!

Ian m

F

Fenlander

Another great build Ian, as you say, the surface detail is superb and shows up well without having the 'trench' look.

B

Bari

Lovely model, brought back many memories. I was on 14 Sqn until it disbanded and then 17 Sqn until it also disbanded and moved back from Bruggen to Wattisham to form 56 Sqn with Phantoms when they got rid of the Lightning. However we reformed with all the patched up Phantoms we thought we had got rid of on 14 Sqn. Still, Happy days.

I'm trying to find a 1/72 fgr2 but they seem to be thin on the ground.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Hiya Bari. Nice to meet another former 14 Sqn member on here :smiling3:

Excellent Phantom there Ian

F

Ferrets Bueller

Very nice, i like the f4 will have to add one to my stash

B

Bunkerbarge

I think one of the trickiest things to do in modelling is achieve a good level of weathering and detail on a large surface of a light colour. This has come out extreemly well and really looks the part. I've always loved the Phantom as it is such a no-compromise beast of a plane and has such an aggresive presence. This model captures that perfectly. Brilliant cockpit detail as well, great model to be proud of.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Indeed an excellent model of a great aircraft. I would be very impressd if I had managed to creat this. Nice one.

Regards

Colin M........