Rainbow effect/oil sheen.

S

sharowjohn

Has anyone out there worked out a way of producing the rainbow like oil sheen seen when small amounts of oil are spilt on a wet surface I have been trying to figure a way for a couple of weeks now, all to no avail.

Cheers sharow john. ;)

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Is it on a dio John ? If its an oil spill or suchlike maybe a clear pearlescent nail varnish painted over the dark painted puddle will give the effect . Hope this gives you something to go on , cheers tony

S

sharowjohn

Hi,

I should have been a bit more specific to start with; yes it is a diorama underway Skoda 30.5cm siege howitzer on a wet day. I have found something which produces an oily sheen of all things release oil! just a tiny drop in water I think it might look a bit over scale but am working on it that and release oil proofing the model.Still open to suggestions/advice will report back on progress as and when.

Cheers sharow John. ;)

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
The only way I can think of to get them to scale is to photograph some real ones scale them down and print them on clear decal film....

S

sharowjohn

While since I have been online so update tried photographing a couple of real sheens but I don't think my photography skills are quite what they should be, but floor polish looks worth a try .

M

-Matt-

I would like to add to this, after something I noticed tonight with my own model.

I was giving a dirt wash to my car (1/24) using a thinned down Vallejo Air, applied with a brush. Now my model is plainted with car paint, and has an aerosol glossy clear coat on top.

I noticed that my previous wash had dried in a fashion of leaving a circular tide mark and fading to nothing towards the centre.

My suggestion would be perhaps to put down a little clear coat. Mix up a paint of suitable colour and just gently put a nice blob down. Hopefully held spherical by surface tension and allow to dry. Another coat of clear, a different colour in a smaller blob and procede until the middle?

This is just a working theory of course but it makes sense in my mind :smiling3:

-Matt-