"Ramp Down!" Dog Green. Vierville. Omaha Beach. Normandy. June 6th 1944.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Today, June 6th is the 79th Anniversary of the Allied Invasion of occupied Europe.

Let us remember ALL those who gave their lives for our freedom on that first day in 1944. Rest in peace boys.......

The amphibious assault of the Normandy beaches was underway. Luckily, some sectors took fairly light casualties - Not so the American landing at Omaha Beach, particularly the far right 'Dog Green' Sector at Vierville.
The defences were well organised and relatively undamaged.
The first and second wave of troops were virtually cut down as, fully laden, they struggled through the shallow waters and deep draws up the exposed beach.
So bad were the casualties the Commander of the landings nearly called it off! Only when reports of small gains were received did the operation continue.

The model is 1/72. The figures are Pegasus U.S. Rangers. Rather than waste a good L.C. kit, I made one from a cardboard cereal packet.
The base is polystyrene covered and shaped using filler. then a silicone 'sea' was applied. The beach defences are made from various bits of wood.
The background of Vierville and out to sea, I painted in watercolours on to large pieces of card.

Enough waffle. Here is my tribute to the brave lads who stormed the beach at 'Dog Green' into unbelievable carnage.....Yet eventually won through.

P1360721.JPG

P1360724.JPG

P1360725.JPG

P1360715.JPG

P1360654.JPG

P1360661.JPG

P1360648.JPG

P1360653.JPG

P1360713.JPG

P1360719.JPG

P1360708.JPG

P1360673.JPG

P1360695 (2).JPG

P1360701.JPG

P1360685.JPG

P1360645.JPG

P1360639.JPG

P1360671.JPG

P1360642.JPG

P1360717.JPG

Thanks for all the great posts during the making of this model. Every one really well appreciated.:thumb2:

Cheers all and thanks for looking.

Ron

Last edited:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Once again Ron you have combined superb photography with excellent modelling to create a very life like dio.
On the 79th anniversary of the landings I echo your thoughts of gratitude to all those heroic soldiers.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Ditto to what Jim has said 570 very like it was poor souls gettin cut down like that an if im right here it was without tank support as they lauched them to far out an the tanks sunk OH DEAR
chrisb

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
As always Ron, very inventive, showing excellent composition and photography. Thought provoking in the extreme, especially today.

For those that don’t know, Omaha beach is regarded as sacred ground by the US military. If you travel to any US military cemetery to photograph a gravestone belonging to a relative, and ask the guardians nicely, they will rub sand into the inscription so the name stands out better in your photograph. The sand they use comes from Omaha beach……..

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thanks ever so much for all your most excellent comments.
As I wrote at the start of the build, I was a bit 'Twitchy' about modelling violence, but I came round to seeing this model as a tribute to all the brave souls who gave their lives on this day......For us to have our's today.

Just a few more to finish off the pickies.

P1360698 (2).JPG

P1360692.JPG

P1360672.JPG

P1360681.JPG

P1360714 (2).JPG

P1360688.JPG

P1360702.JPG

That's really it.
Cheers and thanks again for all your excellent comments..

Ron

Last edited:

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Ron, a very fitting tribute on this day of days...Your ability to create a scene like this is extraordinary and your photos made it seem almost real life. The B/W pics look like you were there, taking them at the landing...Phenomenal work Sir!!!...

Prost
Allen

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Thanks for this Ron....an excellent portrayal of what was a monumental struggle. I had the privilege of being acquainted with one of the Rangers that hit the Beach on D-Day......he told me of his experience, that lasted only minutes before he was hit. Being a BAR man he took a tremendous amount of enemy fire...and barely made it 150 yards. Tip O' the Hat for your efforts 570! :thumb2: :thumb2:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Very thought provoking diorama. Haven't thought about my dad for years and this has had me wondering about he got on. He never talked about it other than saying he was sent home from the beach after being reported by his brother for being only 14.
Thank you for posting all the images Ron. Braves souls to a man.

Last edited:

Andy T

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
A stunning piece of work. I can almost feel the vast array of emotions those guys must have gone through.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Thanks ever so much for all your most excellent comments.
As I wrote at the start of the build, I was a bit 'Twitchy' about modelling violence, but I came round to seeing this model as a tribute to all the brave souls who gave their lives on this day......For us to have our's today.

Just a few more to finish off the pickies.

View attachment 483302

View attachment 483277

View attachment 483278

View attachment 483279

View attachment 483303

View attachment 483280

View attachment 483282

That's really it.
Cheers and thanks again for all your excellent comments..

Ron
Yep, excellent stuff Ron,
Lovely work mate :smiling3:

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I used to be a player of first-person shooter computer games. One of them involved landing at Omaha Beach. I was getting very frustrated by 'dying' before getting to the beach in at least 25% of attempts - then it struck me that was just realistic.
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
I used to be a player of first-person shooter computer games. One of them involved landing at Omaha Beach. I was getting very frustrated by 'dying' before getting to the beach in at least 25% of attempts - then it struck me that was just realistic.
Pete
Been there, done that!! Stuck behind the Landing Craft just to be taken out as soon as you take a peak. It was like living Private Ryan!!!

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
I’m simply speechless mate . This is so brilliantly done , it transcends just being a model diorama . Its a snapshot of a scene of horrror , sacrifice and unbelievable courage that most of us couldn't even begin to imagine . Your superb vision gives us that chance - and its a sobering , humbling experience . We will never forget them