Rare Medium Tank M3 variant, from a MiniArt kit

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I can assure you it was a real vehicle, not something that sprouted from my imagination :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Ok..... So being serious this time......

Thinking logically about it, you would only need a big structure on the top like that if you were trying to store something......

..... So how about a special radio variant vehicle for a HQ unit, or something along those lines?

ATB.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I’ve managed to make myself start adding the rivets now:

View attachment 423329

You can tell how much fun this job is by me alternating it with assembling track links :smiling3:

The rivets are all punched from 0.25 mm plastic card using an RP Toolz punch-and-die set, with an 0.7 mm punch designed for making domed rivets. You don’t need to buy a separate set for this if you already have a “flat” punch-and-die set — just order spare punches in the sizes you want. You need the ones that say “for Rivet maker”.

Some years ago, I reviewed AFV Club’s T48 track and wasn’t too impressed. Their main failing was that the track kept falling apart because the pins were too narrow for the holes in the end connectors. Somewhat unexpectedly, this T51 set is far better. The pins are, if anything, often a little oversize rather than under-. That is, the connectors sometimes won’t fit, but I’ve solved that every time so far by trying a different one. At least this track doesn’t fall apart when I pick it up.
Steve Jones would be in his element with all those rivets.:nerd:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Thinking logically about it, you would only need a big structure on the top like that if you were trying to store something......

..... So how about a special radio variant vehicle for a HQ unit, or something along those lines?
Like the Grant command tank that a photo was already posted of on page 1?

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Most interesting build, liking the scratch work but as to what it is ?

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Like the Grant command tank that a photo was already posted of on page 1?
Kind of but I don't know that was a commander version but a lot more radios......

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I’ll give the clue that the big structure serves a definite purpose, but it’s not to house radios :smiling3:

Isitme

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mike
Jakko,
For filler I use car stopper filler as I find it does not flake as much as the model products. But I use it as the last thing at night and then leave it next to an open window for the cellulose fumes to escape.
Mike.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Jakko,
For filler I use car stopper filler as I find it does not flake as much as the model products. But I use it as the last thing at night and then leave it next to an open window for the cellulose fumes to escape.
Mike.
What make of stopping is that Mike? I always liked Tamiya filler, which is cellulose based, for the same reason. However it seems near impossible to get it at a reasonable price including postage so I’m looking for an alternative.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Well,I`m stumped also!
Been viewing from the cheap seats,and did have a few ideas...... sadly though,the guesses so far have negated them!!:dizzy:
so i`ll just revert to type.........
"Is it Elton John Mark?.... sounds just like her!!"
Sorry,couldn`t resist!..... you have to be of a certain age,and remember Mark and Lard from the radio one comedy show in the late 90`s,early 2000`s!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
(They were a quality duo BTW!!)
Andy

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
The only thing I thought it was was the searchlight version but that isn't it either.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Well,I`m stumped also!
Been viewing from the cheap seats,and did have a few ideas...... sadly though,the guesses so far have negated them!!:dizzy:
so i`ll just revert to type.........
"Is it Elton John Mark?.... sounds just like her!!"
Sorry,couldn`t resist!..... you have to be of a certain age,and remember Mark and Lard from the radio one comedy show in the late 90`s,early 2000`s!:tears-of-joy::tears-of-joy:
(They were a quality duo BTW!!)
Andy
They were better on their pre-radio one slot in the evening Andy. I used to listen to them when I came off of late shift and was driving home..........they became very popular with students and some genius subsequently thought they were a good fit for radio one.....which they certainly weren’t! They now both work radio six. Can’t blame them for taking the money though :tongue-out3: