Rat Ogre From Island Of Blood Set

L

Lady Phoenix

For the benefit of all those that are not aware, Warhammer Fantasy Battle is a sort of a wargaming game but it uses fantasy figures as soldiers.

Games workshop currently have a starter edition called Island of Blood. It retails at £61.50 and below is what you get

View attachment 104996

Basically two fairly good sized armies, High elves and Skaven. You can get it elsewhere for cheaper, for example, there is a spanish version floating around e-bay for about £40.

I bought this about a month ago and its my plan to expand the High Elf army and enter tournaments etc etc, but the beauty of this is that I can do a little bit to one unit, then a little on another etc etc.

Anywho, today I recieved via the lovely postman (Apart from a big box of High Elves that I traded via a forum) some sand and some grass tufts. Great seller, he advised me that the 2mm tufts that I ordered were not the right ones, so changed my order to 4mm but sent a sample of 2mm tufts anyway.

So, last week I finished my first figure and Ive based him up and now I think Im rather proud of myself. Remember that before this month Ive never weathered, layered, used inks or made bases. But thats no excuse for you to go easy on me with your critiques.

View attachment 104988

View attachment 104989

View attachment 104990

View attachment 104991

View attachment 104992

So here is the rough process from memory

Primed him using black primer (Afterall, he is a bad guy and only the good guys wear white)

I then painted him in a fleshy colour which was washed with a brown ink (by the way, Im not mentioning the exact colours as thats quite time consuming and I think you are all skilled enough to work out roughly what colours you use, or you could make a request LOL). After that I layered with a lighter colour, then another lighter before drybrushing. Wasnt happy with the shade so applied another ink coat.

Then I painted the fur black which was then highlighted in a dark grey and then dry brushed in a lighter grey.

Rope and bandages was done in a bone colour which was then washed with a dark ink, then dry brushed the same bone colour. Highlightes picked out in white before painting (as opposed to washing) with a sepia ink over the white.

Loin cloth, same principal using reds. Red, red ink, red, lighter red, dry brush with orange.

Then the best bit of all. The metallics.

Base coat in (Doing from memory) a brassy colour, then highlighting with a lighter brassy colour, bry brushed in a coppery tone to give it a rusty look. This was then washed with a brown to dull it down before giving it another very light dry brush. I then painted (as opposed to washed) into all the corners with a green ink (If the angle was 90 degrees it got painted) to give it a sort of oxidised look.

Then my least favourite bit. The gem in his arm. I painted white in all the cracks, then painted using green ink. Painted the gem, then washed it in ink before layering with the same green and highlighting in a lighter green. Painted into the cracks again with green ink and then lightly painted the arm in a flesh tone to cover up all the green ink that missed the cracks. I wasnt too worried about a touch of green on the skin as I see it as a sort of stone rammed into his arm thats oozing a green liquid (similar properties to blood but its green) so a little on the skin wont kill.

Then, the base. Now, I not sure Ive done this right, but it seems that every you-tuber has a slightly different method, so here is what I did.

I masked off the edges of the base and then I painted the base with a 50/50 mix of PVA glue and water. Chucked as much sand on as I could. When dry tipped the sand off (In hindsight, perhaps pure pVA glue would have been better and pushed the base into the sand). Then I painted the sand a dark earth brown. When that was dry I dry brushed a bone colour over the top.

The model has a little nodule under each foot, so before hand I punched holes in the base. When the base was dry I pushed the figure into the base and glued from underneath. I then stuck a couple of tufts on a) to cover up a bit that didnt look so good and b) to make it look a bit sparce.

I was only going to put one tuft on but its a big base. After putting the first one on (which turned out to be behind him) I thought Id put the small one on, then I put a bigger one one touching. I think it looks OK.

When complete I tidied up the edges of the base by painting black.

So, my conclution.

Well, for £61.50 for all the figures I got, plus a rule book and templates I really dont think you can go wrong. Im led to believe that this exact figure is only available with this set, but a box of 3, with 3 pack masters and some rats will cost £22.50-ish.

Its a great figure to paint, but it doesnt really start to come alive until you have started working on the metalics. The skin alone is quite boring and at times leaves you feeling its all going to go horribly wrong.

The more you paint it the more exciting it gets. Colour adds excitment to a figure, as we all know, but colour is all wrong for this guy so you have to persevere.

Like I say, you cant go wrong with this and its a nice model. Even at this standard I could probably stick it in e-bay and get £10-£20 for it and if it all went wrong I can easily strip the paint off and start again.

I wouldnt recommend it for a beginner, and here is why.

I started warhammer again with nothing except a few aircraft paints (greys etc), some brushes, a cheap old airbrush and little bits and bobs.

The warhammer set cost me £61-50 which is a lot for anyone, let alone poor little me.

Now, if I had started on the high elves first I could of bought about 10 paints and be able to paint the majority of the models, then build up a few paints a week or so until I have enough to do the rest of the box. High Elves and Skaven use different paint schemes.

In the last month or so Ive bought a total of 68 pots of paint at £2.40 each, and about 24 of them were used on this little beast.

But in all honesty, Id do it again. In fact, over the next few months I plan on buying another 3 Island Of Blood sets mainly to fill out my army on the cheap.

DSC_0091 (Small).JPG

DSC_0092 (Small).JPG

DSC_0093 (Small).JPG

DSC_0094 (Small).JPG

DSC_0095 (Small).JPG

1.jpg

First Name
Richard
Not in to Table tops but I definitely like the paintjob on this figure allot. Those shadows are nicely done and the copper looks great too.

Nice job Penny

Cheers Richi

P

Polux

I'm agree with Richard!

This figure looks really good and the cooper colour is magnificent.

Cool work ;)

First Name
Aaron
Wow actually, a lot of nice paint work there. The patina looks very realistic.

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
great job Penny,i real like him as Richi said like the shadow wok and all so the detail on him,Mr Rat is great

very well done, ;)

takeslousyphotos

No Tears Please. It's a Waste of Good Suffering.
First Name
Peter
That looks very good to me Penny ........... First Class Job.

Peter

L

Lady Phoenix

Thanks for the comments peeps. Ive seen a lot of your own work on various projects so your positive comments mean that much more to me.

Only trouble now is that he has a mate and a pack master which I suppose I should be getting on with. Then I have my main army to build and paint, along with the new load that arrived today. Then there are two boxes due this week and a few projects that Im working on. Then, and only then, if I have time, I may go to work sometime this week

Cough Cough, I feel a serious illness coming on. O, wait, Im a live in Carer, may have to come up with something pretty good :smiling3:

D

David 317

Hi Penny,

That figure is great! Excellent paint work.

I have the Dark Vengeance Set sitting on top of my wardrobe with just the Dark Angel standard Space marines painted.

Looking at your figure puts mine to shame!

D.

L

Lady Phoenix

\ said:
Hi Penny,
That figure is great! Excellent paint work.

I have the Dark Vengeance Set sitting on top of my wardrobe with just the Dark Angel standard Space marines painted.

Looking at your figure puts mine to shame!

D.
Dark Angel? Space Marines? Is that the shooty ping ping game where people try to make a comparison despite them being two completely different universes. Where your guys look down on us, yet we know we should be looking down on you guys :smiling3:

D

David 317

\ said:
Dark Angel? Space Marines? Is that the shooty ping ping game where people try to make a comparison despite them being two completely different universes. Where your guys look down on us, yet we know we should be looking down on you guys :smiling3:
Yep! That sounds about right!

Warhammer or 40k. Either way it costs a fortune!

D.

First Name
Neil
That is great, almost inspired to get a figure to paint as well - but by the sounds of it, that would start a whole new stash and I have too many currently. This is great, but one little thing - could we please get a picture of the whole figure in portrait rather than landscape maybe?