Rated Able.

The Smythe Meister

Born to be WILD....... until about 9pm
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andy
Smashing day at HMS Raleigh seeing my lad pass out.View attachment 483414
Excellent stuff there Jon,you should be VERY PROUD indeed,which you obviously are. :smiling3:
.. nice to see that there are still some proper lads out there.. most of what I see see these days look more interested in their hair,social media,and,how they can get away with doing bugger all!!
Top man,I wish him all the very best in his chosen,and VERY honourable career :smiling3:

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Congratulations to you both!

Tworrs

SMF Supporter
First Name
Garry
This brings back some memories for me.
I was a project manager for Flagship, and looked after the building of 4 accomodation blocks at HMS Raleigh.
I was based in Fareham at HMS Collingwood, where I looked after the building of Warspite, PAYD and various accomodation units. also the refurb of Marlborough building, this was all circa 2002 - 2008.
You son will no doubt know these buildings.
Loved my time doing work for the RN.

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Am I right in thinking that AB is just an abbreviation for Able Seaman? A few years ago I spent a week as an expert witness to an inquest into a maritime fatality. The Assistant Clerk of the court had to read out several statements from crew members, and whenever an AB was referred to, he read that as "Able Bodied". It didn't sound right to me, since "Able Bodied" normally means someone with no physical disabilities.
Pete

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Am I right in thinking that AB is just an abbreviation for Able Seaman? A few years ago I spent a week as an expert witness to an inquest into a maritime fatality. The Assistant Clerk of the court had to read out several statements from crew members, and whenever an AB was referred to, he read that as "Able Bodied". It didn't sound right to me, since "Able Bodied" normally means someone with no physical disabilities.
Pete
Yup, AB = Able Seaman. (Lance Corporal)
The ranks go something like!
OD - OrDinary Seaman. (Whenever any rank is a little inebriated, (polite version), you are said to be acting like a big OD, a reference to acting immature)
AB = As above
LS = Leading Seaman, (Corporal)
PO = Petty Officer, (Sergeant)
CPO Chief Petty Officer, (Staff Sergeant)
WO = Warrant Officer = Warrant Officer!

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete

Jon Heptonstall

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jon
Pete
this goes back a couple of centuries ago when an able seaman could hand reef and steer.Other wise you were an ordinary seaman.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Congrats all round, well done young man, may you serve with pride. Jon, you look very proud sir, and so you should.