Re Tamiya spitfire

P

Pete Mac

I have managed to complete the camouflage markings using the blue-tac and masking method. I must admit I was'nt at all confident as this is new to me. It took hours to get it all completed and in the end I just went for it ,hoping for the best. It worked out a lot better than I dared hoped for.

I have also opted for painting the decals (am still waiting for them but think they are made in Serbia!) as the give a more realistic effect.

As I will no doubt have to use some decals from the kit I am undecided what to use as a base coat. I have some Vallejo matt and gloss varnish but the instructions say to apply with a brush so I don't know if I can still spray them. Or should I use Klear also for use as a base for the painted decals (doubtfull with painted decals?).

Also must i use gloss base pre weather washing or can I use matt, does it make a difference?

Sorry to drone on a bit but hope someone can help. Many thanks, Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Vallejo varnished spray pretty good, you will need to thin them a bit. Clean the airbrush very thoroughly as it does tend to be a beast to clean if you let it stiffen.

Regarding the decals, I am not sure what you meant with getting the decals painted. Are the decals or masks? Do you mean getting them printed?

Decals should go onto a smooth and shiny surface. This allows the decal to dry down with out trapping air under it. This is what causes silvering; when the clear parts of a decal appear silvery instead of clear.

You can as many others do use klear. I use a gloss varnish before I decal and seal them with a thin coat once they are dry.

Weathering will also go down better on a shiny surface as well. A matt surface will make it harder to get an even effect, as the paint/pigment will bleed into the surface of a matt varnish.

Ian M

P

Pete Mac

Many thanks Ian. Having real problems with my PC lately. Tried to upload a pic of the model but kept freezing so have given up on that for now.

Re the decals. should have made it clearer, sorry. I have ordered paint masks from makter to paint the roundels and lettering etc. but I realisi that I will also have to apply some of the kit decals which will not be included in the mask set. From what you say I will need to paint the masks first then gloss over the model and then apply the remaining decals. Many thanks for your help. Regards, Pete

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
A Ha, all is clear now.

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
I recommend protecting the base with future before you decal and spray the stencil.Then another coat over decals and stenciled roundels.

Good luck with the build.

P

Pete Mac

Thanks Aaron, Do I thin the future? Will try to re post the picture if this machine will allow ! Pete

P

Pete Mac

Tamiya Sspitfire

Okay lads, Trying again to get these pics. to upload re the last thread. hope it works this time. First attempt at using the Blu-tac and mask method. Was a little anxious about it but bit the bullit and went for it. Quite pleaded with the result. thanks to all for your help. Pete

View attachment 45464

View attachment 45465

Project Spitfire 049.jpg

Project Spitfire 051.jpg

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Looks like the camo has come out really well using the Blu-tac.

Vaughan

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
That looks very nice from where I am sitting.

Ian M

First Name
Aaron
Yep looks great from here too and no do not thin the future just shoot or brush it neat but remember to clean the model first as fingerprints stand out. Dust is futures enemy so a clean box over the freshly applied model is a must.

HTH

P

Pete Mac

thanks guys for all the positive and helpful comments. This is a return first after many years (about 35) and an expensive kit so encouragement inspires confidence. Thanks once again. Pete

First Name
Aaron
Hey Pete, Good to see ya back into it and good luck with the build.

Another note if you decide to use future...get some window cleaner with ammonia in it to clean your airbrush or brush with afterwards.

Heres a link that will answer any queries about using future on your models The Complete Future

P

Pete Mac

Thanks Aaron, I have read the link on the Klear and my instincts tell me not to risk it on this model due to the reaction with the decals. This is the replacement Pledge Klear by the way which I have here. A very helpful local model shop proprioter let me have s tamiya bottle full of the original Klear but I don't think there will be enough to do the whole model. I may play safe and use Vallejo gloss acrylic varnish which I have. What do you think ? I will be using paint masks for the roundels and lettering and kit decals for the rest. it's a shame to have to cover the Tamiya paint with anything really as it has produced areally good smooth matt finish which is what I'm after.

There I go rambling on again but it's such a great forum. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to make a horlicks of things at this late stage. Thanks again, Pete

First Name
Aaron
Vallejo gloss will be fine, as long as you decal over a gloss surface. A matt should be added after another gloss over the decals.

I have just finished matting my spitfire using 3 part klear to 1 part tamiya matt, It is drying at the moment.

I used one and a half teaspoons with another half teaspoon of matt so 2 teaspoons and i had spare left over. A little klear-future goes a long way.

Remember to patch test on a spare model if your in doubt.

P

Pete Mac

In that case it looks like i should have ample Klear so I'll do a test on both products then toss a coin. Thanks Aaron

First Name
Aaron
No problem and good luck.

Keep us posted on results.

P.S are you brushing or using an A.B?

P

Pete Mac

Hi Aaron, I'm using an Iwata revolution airbrush which I invested in a couple of weeks ago, powered by propellant cans. Can't reaaly justify a compressor just yet but if I build some more models, which i fully intend to, then I shall looke further into that aspect. Pete