Rebirth of a hobby.

W

Winker

Hello all.

I am 45 and have been a modeller of sorts since I can remember. Having fell on hard times (suffered a stroke) and having to downsize a house whilst still fitting family of 8, 2 dogs and 3 cats I found myself struggling to cope with the hobby.  I have said for a long time that model making is a dying art/hobby/skill (delete according to attitude) so I was reluctant to stop.  Using a dining room table I tried to carry on but found kids running around, animals sniffing about or jumping on tables and a wife clearing everything away at any opportunity meant that nothing got finished, parts got lost and projects got broken.  I slowly gave up the hobby I loved

Having got a lucky break, we found ourselves in a much bigger house with four floors and a basement so when we moved I cleared my shed out of all my 'modelling gear' and unloaded it into the basement. Having scrounged together old kitchen units etc I have created a room that my wife loves to call the man cave.  I can sit there out the way of rowdy teenagers, the dogs and cats don't come down and my wife can watch EastEnders in peace.  Best of all, Imagine my surprise and delight when I unpacked my 'gear' to find that I had a full set of GW citadel paints, most of the revell acrylics and a selection of Humbrol and Tamiya paints.  I found enough glue to make a full size plastic titanic.  Tools were in abundance and I slowly organised a workshop. 

The joy at being able to have some room was nothing compared to the delight when I went through my collection of kits and broken models and spare parts.  I found that as well as 5 huge amati kits, I had 39 'timefiller' plastic kits, all complete or in a state that can be repaired.  Since finding them, I have popped out 4 nice displays with 1/72 models and I am working on 5 more. I have started to attempt 2 of the large kits and I have invested in a compressor, airbrushes and various other tools and equipment.  I cant seem to stop myself creeping down to the basement to hit the plastic.

This story may bore you but I feel reborn....I am a born again model maker and the joy is like nothing else.  The quality of the models I am popping out initially is not to the standard I produced years ago but the effects of the stroke and age will constantly be blamed for that.

Finding forums like this has been nice too. I give you my story and welcome any comments as well as any recommendations for suppliers etc.

Cheers all

Neil 'Winker' Watson

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Welcome to the forum Neil and your story is like most of us on here started building young but life got in the way.

First Name
Gwyn
Welcome Neil I would love to see some picture of your models.

Gwyn

F

Fenlander

Great story and introduction Neil and welcome to the madhouse :D

As Ian said above, your rebirth into the hobby is familiar to quite a few of us.  None the less, I feel your excitement and know what it means to get back to doing something you love with the bonus of a man cave to do it in.

take some time to go to your bench with a glass/mug/cup of your favourite drink and just sit for a few minutes doing nothing and I guarantee that before long a smile will appear on your face.  Then it is time to start work. 

W

Winker

Thanks guys. I am enjoying being a kid again. I am only painting flat colours and I am making amateur mistakes as I relearn the skills and overcome the disabilities I was left with but it's great. I hope to return to shading highlighting weathering and so on as I get into it more.

I currently have a b29 a b17 and a tornado on the table and I am having a go at a very poor quality uss arizona to give me some experience on ships again.

I'll report in when I can with progress :smiling:

G

GazB

Hi Winker,

Nothing quite like it is there.

Great to hear you are on the up mate.

Last edited:

grumpa

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Welcome Neil, similar story, started out as a teen building dragsters then graduated to a couple of real ones until duty called, after the service married and within a few years started with military models for about a decade then stopped for around another decade or so then started back up a few years ago and will probably stick with it to the end now that retired. Friendly bunch here and always willing to help.....Jim :smiling3:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
Welcome to the forum Neil :smiling3:

C

CharleyGnarlyP290

Welcome, Neil. Great story. I think you will find this a great place to hang out with like minded people. Plenty of help and encouragement to be had, and lots of great advice.

First Name
barry
Welcome Neil you will like it on here, good to know you are back with this great hobby.

tanktrack

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Welcome Neil, a lot of us on here have "been reborn" of the modelling sort so good luck and enjoy.

steve

Last edited by a moderator:

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi neil , welcome to the forum , cheers tony

Snowman

We come in peace, so shoot to kill!
SMF Supporter