removing Klear from canopy parts

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Hi all I just dipped my canopy for the Me 262 in Klear(the new stuff that's not clear) my jar must be contaminated with dust and debris so the canopy has now got dust particles all over it. My question is how do you remove the Klear once dry and start again. I have tried re-dipping but that doesn't seem to help.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Maybe rubbing it off with a mild thinner and a cloth, used Vallejo airbrush thinner to get their gloss varnish off clear bits I wasn’t happy of…

IPA might work too, HTH.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Think you can remove it with IPA 99.9%

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Isn't ammonia supposed to work? I remember reading lots of guys won't use Klear in their A/B because using ammonia to clean it damages the chrome.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Yes Dave ammonia does it too. Couldn't think what contained ammonia though lol

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Lots of cleaning products in your local supermarket contain ammonia. You can also buy it neat - I got a 250ml container from ebay for less than £5.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
They say that the best thing for dissolving old klear is more klear or diluted ammonia.
In the past Vaughan ive dipped the canopy again but left it in the klear for about ten minutes then took it out and rinsed it under running cold water ,rubbing gently with some kitchen roll this worked for me , then after drying i just dipped it again ( in some fresh uncontaminated klear , i also threw away the old jar that had caused the problems in the first place) cheers tony

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
Thanks guys for the advice Tony I will give you method a whirl.

First Name
john
Apparently the old KLEAR as made a comeback and is newly formulated. It is now clear again! and not the yellowish liquid we've being using recently. I've had a few canopies discolouring over time into a milky colour since using the yellow liquid. The new one now offers UV protection but I think it's only available from our American cousins. Good luck on your canopy fix Vaughan.

Pledge® floor care multi-surface finish should be removed from your floor every 6 to 8 applications or annually with a solution of 1 cup ammonia and 1/4 cup Pledge® floor care multi-surface concentrated cleaner in 1/2 gallon cool water. Then rinse floor with clean water. For wood floors, use Pledge® floor care . The quantities may need reducing for your canopy.IMG_0498.JPG

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Not in my experience, polystyrene plastic is proof against meths....try on some scrap sprue first though....

Vaughan

SMF Supporter
First Name
Vaughan
So far I have tried soaking the canopy in a new pot of Klear overnight. Then washing it off. This didn't seem to work. So I tried using airbrush cleaning fluid with a cotton bud with no luck and finally with lens cleaning wipes which are alcohol based. Finally I re-dipped in Klear. The front and rear sections look ok but the all important middle section hasn't come out so well :sad: Not sure If I should try with meths. Will have to try on a spare canopy to see if it damages it. The photo doesn't really show how bad it looks.

IMG_20190630_222607.jpg