Removing masking "ridges"

KarlW

Mediocre modeller extraodinaire.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Despite my Tamiya decals on my current build not conforming to the actual model, one place they did conform was the slight ridge left by the edge of the masking film I used for the camoflage patterning.
Thinking of giving these a light rub down with some micromesh in future and I'm just wondering what others do? Ignore them or fix? Or maybe it's a me issue and they can be avoided from the off...........

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Can't say i've ever really had a problem with it. But i also do light coats of paint anyway. A couple of light coats is better than one heavy coat. But yes you could 'sand' the ridges down with very fine micomesh

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I tend to use light coats too, and it's only something I've noticed lately.
But then I'm still getting to grips with these acrylic lacquers.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'm purely Tamiya and Vallejo. Although i wouldn't mind a bash at MRP. But i cannot afford them yet.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I'm purely Tamiya and Vallejo. Although i wouldn't mind a bash at MRP. But i cannot afford them yet.
I decided to just get RAF colours and sold my VMA (97 bottles) to fund the initial purchase.
Was a bit of a leap but after using Mr Surfacer and Tamiya primers for a while I decided to really commit.
I have added some AK Real and Tamiya LP to the mix as well.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I'd only be getting the MRP RLM colours. That will be the most used as 95% of my kits are Luftwaffe aircraft.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
I'd only be getting the MRP RLM colours. That will be the most used as 95% of my kits are Luftwaffe aircraft.
I'm thinking of going with AK Real once I get around to the Luftwaffe part of the stash.

Komedy

SMF Supporter
First Name
Warren
I do that.
As suggested then light coats and a quick rub with a very fine polishing grade cloth or even kitchen roll should break any "edges" you do encounter.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Despite my Tamiya decals on my current build not conforming to the actual model, one place they did conform was the slight ridge left by the edge of the masking film I used for the camoflage patterning.
Thinking of giving these a light rub down with some micromesh in future and I'm just wondering what others do? Ignore them or fix? Or maybe it's a me issue and they can be avoided from the off...........
I use enamels and can't say that I have much issue with such ridges. I always try to spray away from any masking, with varying degrees of success :smiling3: As others have said, light coats is the way to go.

However, I do very lightly sand the finished camouflage before starting on varnishes etc. I will previously have done the same for the primer. I want the final finish of the paint to be as smooth as possible. There is no reason why you couldn't do this. I use a fine grit paper (1500 or 2000) which I give a quick rub to take the edge off before starting on the model. A piece of denim material makes a surprisingly good polishing cloth too.

KarlW

SMF Supporter
First Name
Karl
Just to be clear, it's not a big ridge, at first I thought a cat hair had gotten under the decal.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Removing the masking before the paint dries gets the edge to fall/flatten off.