Returning to model kits after 40+ years.

SteveT

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Hello, I'm Steve and I'm an old guy (60 now), I used to build a lot of models in my teens, I was obsessed and built dozens of models from small ones to large ones.
but then I discovered pubs and women and somehow modelling vanished from my life.

Now I intend to fix that and return to the hobby, of course after a 40+ year gap, I'm pretty much a total newbie right now and back to square one, but add to that poor eyesight and the shaking hands of being old. Things are not in my favour but I don't care.

Why did I look for this site and create an account? Simple! I don't and won't use facebook and I wanted to find a place to talk about modelling, learn lots of hints and tips and maybe show images of my work for feedback or comments.

What I seek:- just help from time to time, maybe make some new friends and talk about the hobby

What I do not want:- Elitists mocking my work, yes it'll be poor but even so, no need for that.

I look forward to talking with you. :smiling3:

Waspie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Doug
Welcome Steve. 60??? Aint old. I wish I could wind back the clock to 60!! You're just about peaking!
You've found the right place, loads of help, and encouragement.
Only re-started myself last March at a young(ish) 71 last year. On my fourth kit and the guys on here have been oh so helpful.
Dive in and tell folk what your building and you'll find the rest will simply follow.
Doug

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Steve - no one will mock your work - we all started as newbies, and asking advice is the best way to avoid potholes that we have all fallen down, at one time and another. New materials, new techniques & new makers can be very confusing, so ask away, before you part with any cash!
What's your area of interest & scale? Whatever it is you'l find like minded members here!
Dave

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi steve welcome to the forum and back to the hobby , as dave says a lot has changed in 40 years but the basics still apply , cheers tony

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
'Allo mate! No p--- taking here, loads of banter, loads of larffs, but also loads of help and good honest advice when asked for! Welcome aboard! It's a pity you're only a sprog though... ( I was 60 once as I recall :thinking: )
Steve

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
A warm welcome Steve to the best modelling forum around. Everything you want from a forum you will find here so join in and have fun.

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Welcome Steve. 60??? Aint old. I wish I could wind back the clock to 60!! You're just about peaking!
You've found the right place, loads of help, and encouragement.
Only re-started myself last March at a young(ish) 71 last year. On my fourth kit and the guys on here have been oh so helpful.
Dive in and tell folk what your building and you'll find the rest will simply follow.
Doug
DITTO to what Doug SAID an im 71 so you are young Steve so yes this is one of the best forum to be in an no one will belittle you as we are all like a family on here an help each other so jion in an have fun showin your builds an yes i dont like that F/B an have never jioned it
ATB
Chrisb